Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problems… a valve gasket job gone wrong… 2000 Jetta 2.0

Syberfinder
03-19-2011, 10:36 PM
:banghead:

Here are the symptoms: when accelerating at low speed the car seems to momentarily hesitate but when you get out on the highway you have to floor it to get it up to 55 mph. One of the other things that I noticed is that the cruise control is now not working.

I had a bad oil leak so I decided to change out my valve gasket on my 2000 Jetta 2.0 and while I was doing that I figured it would be a great idea to put in new spark plugs too. I had to take off the air intake manifold (VW calls it a Plenum), the oil breather, the fuel rail, and the valve cover. I know it’s not the plugs they went out one at a time and back in one at a time to make sure the order was not messed up. Everything went back on great and as far as I know all of the hoses were put back on the same place that they came off. The hose that went from the Plenum to the fuel pressure regulator (UFO looking thing) was hard plastic with some cloth outside it was brittle and could not be used so I got a rubber one from the auto parts store. The other difference is that my oil dipstick housing broke off, so no dipstick in the hole.

Is there anyone that can set me in the right direction to fix this.

Syberfinder
04-30-2011, 04:38 PM
:) I ended up buying a good OBD2 scanner and it pointed me in the direction of the Throttle Position Sensor TPS with codes P0121 & P1544. I noted that there was a plug that was not fully seated below the location of the TPS and plugged it back in. I had to clear the check engine light with the scanner and all is well everything is working properly again! Perhaps if anyone comes across this post it will help them out.

Add your comment to this topic!