Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 Brougham Interior lights wont shut off.

Dacaprice
03-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Okay whats going on is a while back i bought a new dome setup and put it in the car, I had to splice one wire the other plugged in and since then none of the interior lights turn off. I currently have the fuse pulled and have been waiting for it to warm up to figure it out.

Blt2Lst
03-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Maybe one of the spring loaded switches in the door jam are bad causing the lights to stay on. Try removing them and check to see if they are shorted out..

j cAT
03-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Okay whats going on is a while back i bought a new dome setup and put it in the car, I had to splice one wire the other plugged in and since then none of the interior lights turn off. I currently have the fuse pulled and have been waiting for it to warm up to figure it out.

I think the dome interior lights come on , when the ground is made by way of the door switches , or dash control switch. could be the dome you put in is grounding the switching circuit.

Dacaprice
03-20-2011, 11:10 AM
great, what do ya'll suggest is the easiest way to take care of it

j cAT
03-20-2011, 11:59 AM
great, what do ya'll suggest is the easiest way to take care of it

disconnect this new dome light , what happens with the other interior lights operation ?

Dacaprice
03-21-2011, 01:20 AM
I'll have to get back to you on that, might be a while.

Dacaprice
04-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Ok update: the problem was exposed wires in the led panel i put in for the center dome light. The thing i don't get is when i use a tester on the orange wire i get power. When I test the white wire no power. Is the white wire supposed to have power or does it ground the whole unit out? I'm not sure if the switches on the side lights work like there supposed to I haven't put the light back in yet. Could it be because of that white wire?

j cAT
04-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Ok update: the problem was exposed wires in the led panel i put in for the center dome light. The thing i don't get is when i use a tester on the orange wire i get power. When I test the white wire no power. Is the white wire supposed to have power or does it ground the whole unit out? I'm not sure if the switches on the side lights work like there supposed to I haven't put the light back in yet. Could it be because of that white wire?

I knew it was that light fixture ...LOL....

LED lamps are polarity sensitive..the grounding of the led ground wire should make it work..which would be the metal case ?????

tester WHATS THAT ?????? YOU DO NOT HAVE A METER ?????

That could be why your confused !

apply 12 volts the the fixture ...find out what is positive and negative connections...using a volt meter check the wires going to the dome light circuit. mark which is positive and negative...if the metal case of the led is ground of the LED circuit you will have to figure out how to mount this with out the fixture touching the metal vehicle body..

Dacaprice
04-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Tester as in test light

j cAT
04-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Tester as in test light

not good !

Dacaprice
04-30-2011, 06:15 AM
not good !

What

Add your comment to this topic!