Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sounds like an old mattress

JEREMY19
03-17-2011, 10:34 AM
I have a 2001 sport trac, everytime it rocks side to side it sounds like and old mattress. Any ideas what could be causing this noise?

shorod
03-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Hmm, so is it a squeak or a rattle? If a rattle, certainly check all your lugnuts and make sure the suspension parts are tight, including the anti-sway bar end links. If everything appears tight and the links are not broken, then the noise is probably worn anti-sway bar bushings.

If more of a squeak, then it's probably a dry ball joint our outer tie rod end. The OEM joints have a tendency to get dry and squeak/creak. To figure out which one it is you might use a small pick, poke a hole in the rubber boot, insert the straw from an aerosol can of white lithium grease, give it a squirt, then drive the vehicle and see if the noise changes or goes away completely. This will likely be a short term fix so I suggest doing one joint at a time so you can determine which one is the (current) culprit.

-Rod

JEREMY19
03-17-2011, 01:51 PM
It's defenately a squeak, I went out and checked where it was coming from. It seems it's from the front end. It squeaks when suspension goes up and down and when vehicle moves side to side. I was bouncing up and down the vehicle while it was park and I could here the squeak coming from the front. I replaced both upper and lower ball joints last year.

shorod
03-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Since you've replaced the ball joints recently, I'd start by trying the white lithium grease trick in the outer tie rod ends.

-Rod

JEREMY19
03-21-2011, 10:23 PM
I lubricated my A arm bushings and the sway bar and the squeaking went away. Thanks:grinno:

Add your comment to this topic!