Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

location of theft deterent module??

jamesmetairie
03-17-2011, 03:45 AM
98 lumina 3.1 . replaced ignition and had a key cut at dealer a few months ago. now the car will not crank. security dash light is flashing. figuring if i have the sytem by-passed with the resistor idea,maybe it,s the tdm and still a problem. anyone know the location of the "theft deterent module. i,ll get one from the salvage yard and cross fingers .

brcidd
03-17-2011, 09:24 AM
You don't need to find the theft deterrent module, as a matter of fact, I believe it is part of the BCM.

You have the same system in the post linked below- I answered it just a day or two ago- follow those instructions.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1062105

Good luck

jamesmetairie
03-20-2011, 12:19 PM
98 lumina,147,000 miles .replaced ignition cylinder a couple of months ago. replaced wiper switch in column a few weeks later. last week security light flashing and motor wouldn,t crank. tried the 10 minute trick and no luck .yesterday by-passed the key recognition circuit at the foot of steering column. shoulda did that from the get go.
btw= some guys on various sites say the "tdm" module usually goes out around the same time as the key recognition circuit. but i called many G M dealers in the new olreans area and only one dealer even had a "tdm".

fingers crossed that the "tdm" don,t go out.

brcidd
03-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Yes, I saw the theft deterrent module on wiring diagram- it is behind glove box. If for some reason it fails- then just permanently ground the yel/blk wire from it that triggers the starter relay.- Works just the same as by-passing the key pellet.

Add your comment to this topic!