Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can I lift my odyssey??

scoutinkeith
03-16-2011, 08:07 AM
You may think I'm crazy, but bear with me for a minute.
We currently live in a small town in a rural area. Several times this winter we had issues with getting the van stuck in the snow. It was NOT stuck because fo bad tires (not getting traction). The van was getting high-centered. In the next month or two, we are going to be moving farther out into the country, and will no longer have county snow removal. I'm worried that next winter we'll have even more trouble with the van getting high-centered, and will be stuck a lot more.

It appears that we have two options,
option 1: sell the odyssey and get a different vehicle.
option 2: find some way to lift the odyssey (would only need to lift it an inch ot two), to increse the ground clearance.

We really like our odyssey, it's a great family vehicle, so if there is any way at all to lift it, I'd rather do that, and be able to keep it.

cherryelky305
03-17-2011, 08:47 PM
2500 silverado quad cab, if your living in the country and have deep snow.

scoutinkeith
03-17-2011, 09:03 PM
How easily/comfortably can you fit 4 adults and 2 kids in booster seats in there?

BullShifter
03-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Get a Pilot or something like that.

cherryelky305
03-18-2011, 03:55 PM
just get a cap for the bed and throw the kids back there, lol just kidding. but a pilot might not fit that many people either, you need three rows which almost limits you exclusivly to vans. the only thing done with odysseys Ive seen has been lowering kits.

I did see one van that was adapted with a handicap ramp and that had a body lift on it, might look around and see what you can find from people that do those handicap vans.

Moppie
03-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Lowering a vehicle is very different to raising it, and creates a whole different set of problems.

To raise it you would need taller springs, longer shocks, and most difficult, some kind of camber correction.
You would also have to find away to deal with the change in centre of gravity. There would be huge negative impact on the handling.

702VegasLife
03-18-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't think raising an odyssey is the right move. I would suggest a suburban, three rows of seats, with extra space for cargo in the back. Also I know you can get some nice tires and a lift on one of those. I'm pretty positive you can get them in 4x4 also, just not 100%

scoutinkeith
03-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Quote: "I did see one van that was adapted with a handicap ramp and that had a body lift on it, ...." quote
I'd like to see that LOL!!! the last time I checked, the odysseys were uni-body construction.

I wouldn't mind a sub, but my wife doesn't really like them (or any of the large SUV's for that matter). And you are correct, they can be lifted, however, suspension lifts for the newer suburbans, however, the newer ones (newer than '91 I think) have IFS, and lifts for thos are prety expensive.

702VegasLife
03-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Ah, Ya I've never looked into it before, Maybe you can find a used one with a lift already on it?? It is a tough economy and with gas prices on the rise, there's a lot of people selling there bigger car's/ gas guzzler's right now. Good luck on your search !

cherryelky305
03-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Quote: "I did see one van that was adapted with a handicap ramp and that had a body lift on it, ...." quote
I'd like to see that LOL!!! the last time I checked, the odysseys were uni-body construction.

These have an 11" floor drop which require lifting the body up several inches. Still cheaper to get a chevy though.

http://www.mobilityworks.com/honda-odyssey-wheelchair-van.php

Add your comment to this topic!