Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 corolla... front end vibration

rednaxela_03
03-15-2011, 10:36 PM
I just recently change my car from auto to manual.
when i am driving at 60mph to 70 mph the driver tire vibrates
pretty bad.
after 70 smooths out
if i hit any bumps while driving 40+ mph it sounds like it is hitting very hard like i have no suspension on that side.
i also hear something that sounds like metal washers vibrating together while driving
the cv axle does seem to be a little loose where it goes into the trans.
could this be the bearing in the transmission.
or could it be something else.
if it is the bearing is it easy to change?

also the tire have been balanced and check and they are good.

any ideas and help would be greatly apreciated

jdmccright
03-16-2011, 11:05 AM
When you swapped for the manual tranny, did you also change out the CV joints and hub bearings? You need to tell us all that you have replaced to do the swap.

As for the tire vibration, it could be a bad or loose tie rod, sticking brake caliper causing rotor warpage, or worn bushing.

The CV axle should have no play at all. Again, you should make sure you have the right axles for the manual tranny and that they are fully seated. There is a c-clip style retainer at the tranny end of the axle to hold it in. You have to sort of ram it in to get it fully seated and engaged. Once it is in, the axle end (closest to the tranny) should not slip at all...a good hard tug will let you know it is seated. If it is not, the integral slip joint in the CV axle will not have enough space to slide and "give" to allow the suspension to move up and down.

Hope this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!