Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

hooking up starter motor on a 2.4L motor

joebors
03-12-2011, 11:26 AM
The repair manual for a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire GT with a 2.4L engine shows a purple and red wire is connected to the starter motor.The only purple wire near the starter motor has no end to hook up to the starter motor.The only 2 wires that are near the starter motor are both red,but the starter motor won't engage if I hook up these 2 wires,it will only work if I hook up a 3rd black fusible wire will it work but then the battery light comes on the dashboard screen.I got into this when I had to remove some of the the wires(mostly grounding wires)near the starter motor to get at it.

inafogg
03-12-2011, 01:01 PM
my guess w/out seeing a w/diagram?? check to see if purple wire end connector that broke maybe still on solonoid
the purple should go to ''S'' side of solonoid. the red to big stud hot on solonoid
my guess is your add on black wire is going to S terminal to start
but its not feeding alternator there for bat light on.
someone w/wire diagram will be able to confirm.

Good luck

joebors
03-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the info.I have a Haynes repair manual for this vehicle and the schematic shows a purple and red wire going to the starter motor.The purple wire comes out of a bundle wires near the starter motor then goes back into another bundle of wires,nothing broke on this wire.There are 2 red wires that have hookup connections, a small and large one which I hooked up to the starter motor,nothing happened.There is a fused black wire which I attached to the starter motor which when attached to the starter motor started it up.The only problem is the battery symbol shows up on the dash and the schematic in the book doesn't show any black wire going to the starter motor.

inafogg
03-12-2011, 03:10 PM
is there an alarm/theft system(not factory) on car?
i dont understand purple wire (no connector)this should be hot 12v
should take the place where you added the black wire
i;d recheck the routing of the purple wire

joebors
03-12-2011, 05:00 PM
No alarm system on vehicle,checked purple wire which has no means to hook up with starter motor.Guess I'm going to try and find another vehicle with this type motor to see how the starter motor is hooked up.

inafogg
03-12-2011, 06:53 PM
right now hows it wired ?? whats going to the S terminal & main post on solinoid
i have the 2.4 in my 98 g/am should be the same??
if no one chimes in i'll look when its light out

UPDATE;Looks like my g/am is different

brcidd
03-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Per the starter wiring diagram.

The purple goes to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.

The big battery hot shares its mount with a smaller gray which is a fuseable link to the generator-(the gray wire becomes a red wire at the generator) probably why the battery light is on- the generator needs connected to the battery, through this route.

Also, be careful, one of those black wires is probably a ground, that needs to be bolted to the block, not the solenoid. Funny things can happen, if your ground is not attached to the right component.

Add your comment to this topic!