07 odyssey power steering?

scoutinkeith
03-10-2011, 09:52 AM
I was driving our odyssey a couple days ago, and everything was fine, until I tried to paralell park it. When I went to turn the wheels so I could back into the space, the power steering basically quit. I had to fight the wheel to get the van into the parking spot. The van was parked for about 45 minutes, and when I went to leave, the steering seemed fine.

I checked the fluid leval, it was fine. Then I did some research, and found TSB 10-076. However, in the "diagnostis" section of the TSB, it says, "quickly rotate the steering wheel half a turn and note the effort required." The thing is, the steering seems to be fine when the wheel is close to centered. It only seems to go out when the wheel is turned all the way one direction, and you try to turn it all the way in the other direction.

I'm taking the van in on Saturday for a brake recall, and was going to have them look at the steering wile it's there. The extended powertrain warranty is still good, but I'm not sure if it covers the power steering (I'll find out on saturday), so my question to everyone is, A: dose this sound like a power steering pump issue? B: If it is the pump, how much should I expect the dealership to want to replace it (assuming it's not covered by the powertrain warranty)?

BullShifter
03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Those odysseys have issue with the pumps & reservoirs. To correct the issue it will need a new pump, reservoir, and p/s fluid flushed. If it's not covered it's simple to replace. You could buy the parts online and save some $$$$ www.hondaautomotiveparts.com if you choose to go that route.

scoutinkeith
03-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the link.
I'll find out tomorrow if it's covered or not. We bought the van used, and the bumper to bumper warranty is gone, but we did get the extended powertrain warranty(extended the powertrain warranty out to 2014 or 100K miles), and we still have quite a bit left on that one. I'm just not sure if they consider the power steering to be part of the powertrain or not.

scoutinkeith
03-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Well, the PS pump is NOT covered by the powertrain warranty, so it looks like I'll be replacing it myself.

I haven't really looked at the reservoir to closely, how important is it to get a new one; I mean, it's basically just a can to hold the fluid, right?

Oh, and I checked out that link above, they have all the parts to rebuild a pump, but do not list a complete pump unit for sale.

BullShifter
03-16-2011, 06:12 PM
The reservoir is updated. From what the guys at Honda tell us that is what's causing the pumps to go bad. The last few we did we got new pumps, res, and fluid from Honda. If I remember I could look the pump part# at work tomorrow. Just did a quick search on google and came up with part #56110-RGL-A02 for the p/s pump. I would not go aftermarket on this. Well it's simple to change but I wouldn't want to keep replacing it. We have the worst luck with aftermarket pumps at work. It's almost a joke!

cherryelky305
03-17-2011, 08:46 PM
i work at a honda dealer we replace these all the time, the resovoir has a filter in the bottom thats why you need to replace it.

the redesigned filter was issued to solve a noise problem from the filter. but you still need to replace it if your pump went out.

Add your comment to this topic!