Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TCC solenoid location

nscrfn
03-09-2011, 09:37 PM
00 regal 3.8 (not sure what trans) ,not shifting into overdrive after searching forums the problem seems to be the TCC solenoid,I know i can get this part from the part store.What i dont know is if this is located internally or externally on the transaxle.if external can someone please tell me where it is located? Thank you.

brcidd
03-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Not shifting into OD is generally a separate issue from TCC lockup problems. The TCC lockup solenoid controls when the transmission clutch "locks" itself to the engine flywheel- such that the tranny and engine always turn the same speed when TCC is engaged.

TCC lockup symptoms are "car stalls when coming to a stop" and will start back up- but stalls when tranny is "dropped into drive again"

Not going into OD would seem to be an upshift problem....Are you sure your research is correct?

The TCC lockup solenoid is inside the transmission or torque converter. You must remove the outer cover to access.

enslow
03-10-2011, 02:41 PM
The TCC is located in the side pan. You can't get at it without removing a lot of stuff including the axle.

First scan for codes. Then I would do the following:

I would drop the bottom pan first and change the tranny fluid, install a new filter, install spacers from a shift kit for the 4T65e (that should be your tranny). A number of tranny shops recommend adding a tube of Dr Tranny Instant Shudder Fix.

From what I've read from various forums, the common problem involving the TCC is a rolling RPM at about 40 mph when the TCC is trying to engage. The other problem, more common in the 4T65e I believe, is the tranny will go into fail safe mode and slam the car into gear when the TCC begins to fail.

nscrfn
03-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I stand corrected,the post i read was obviously incorrect.The tcc is not the issue here.If anyone can shed some light into the od not engaging i would be very appreciative of the info as it is my wifes car and is sucking fuel.and i am not very knowledgeable when it comes to trans issues.Thanks in advance.

BNaylor
03-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Common problem with the 4T65E autotransaxle on no 4th - OD or dropping out of 4th is the 4th clutch shaft. The splines wear out. There is a hardened version available but a rebuild is likely.

Add your comment to this topic!