Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jeep Wrangler alternative

powrus1
03-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Are there any other Jeep Wrangler-like vehicles being manufactured in the US? I like most things about the jeep with its rugged duty build and its removable top but I'm not particularly interested in buying a Jeep. I like Toyota's FJ Cruiser for the most part but that particular vehicle is missing the "convertible" aspect.

My guess is that Land Rover makes a rugged convertible vehicle, but the cost for something like that is prohibitive.

Thanks.

MagicRat
03-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Stay away from Land Rovers...... expensive to buy, rapid depreciation, expensive parts and service, expensive to insure. They tend to function quite well, but just cost a lot.

One option would be to buy a gently used one. The rapid depreciation would mean you could get a good deal.

powrus1
03-10-2011, 09:35 AM
MagicRat - Thanks for your input. I don't have much interest in Land Rovers, anyway. Just put that in the conversation to make some sort of comparison to the Jeep.

I am confused why some other auto mfgr doesn't cater to the popular Jeep-like market in order to compete with Chrysler's product. The little Geo Tracker appeared to make a stab at it but may have lacked the endurance and/or longevity of the larger Jeep.

speediva
03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
I'd say that those who want a Jeep-like vehicle are usually Jeep fanatics and won't buy anything but Jeep. It's like Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha trying to edge out Harley Davidson in the cruiser market - the fans are diehard and won't change their ways.

If you're seeking topless alternatives, you won't find much - if anything - out there. Personally, I have a great disdain for Jeep for a plethora of personal reasons and would much prefer a closed-in vehicle anyway (convertibles suck when you have long hair).

Let us know if you find anything else in the same genre - I'd be interested in hearing about it!

Add your comment to this topic!