Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1/24 Porsche 935 Lemans 1979 Wynn's

joka-1
03-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Hello,

I recently started with this one :

The Porsche 935 from the Dick Barbour racing team in Wynn's livery, from LeMans 1979, driven by Bob Kirby, Bob Harmon and John Hotchkis.

As a base I used Tamiya's 1/24 Porsche 935 Martini, where I scratchbuild the rear fenders and doorsteps.

After a lot sanding and putty I got to this result, ready for the first coat of primer.

joka-1
03-08-2011, 02:59 PM
In the mean time the 935 got it's white coat, ready to apply the decals.
I bought the decals from EBAY, they are from DMC I think, very good quality, but very thin. Some cracked while applying, but this could be solved.

Some decals are not the correct scale to match with the real car, but we'll see.

joka-1
03-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Last update for today, decals are applied.
They went on very well, but as I mentioned earlier they some are not the correct scale.

I leave the model to dry now for a weak, and then I can apply the clear coat from Gunze.

da_ashman
03-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Looks great, nice mods!

joka-1
03-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Hello,

some progress,
The body is covered with 3 layers of gunze clear.
Window trims are painted matt black.
Started with the underside of the car.
Not much detail underneath the car, painted Matt black and the engine matt alu. To finisch a litle bit smoke everywhere to bring out the detail.

The wheel inserts are painted red and the yellow decal is applied. I only placed the front inserts because the decal for the rear wheel didn't fit right ( to small ).
I'm not sure if I will attach the rear inserts, maybe using the one's from the capri, but they are black with gold striping.

Next will be the interior.

joka-1
03-13-2011, 11:06 AM
some pics from the interior.

Added a full roll cage, seatbelt, door handles and fire extinguisher.

robdebie
03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
As a base I used Tamiya's 1/24 Porsche 935 Martini, where I scratchbuild the rear fenders and doorsteps.

After a lot sanding and putty I got to this result, ready for the first coat of primer.
Nice work!! I recently looked at doing exactly the same: use Tamiya's works 935-76 (kit 24001) and convert it to a 1977/78/79 customer car with boxy rear fenders and running boards. The boxy rear fenders have got all kinds of subtle curves, that are quite tricky to replicate, and need to symmetrical on top of that. I chickened out..

Can you tell us how you did it? Did you maybe use side and top view drawings to cut the main parts of those rear fenders in plastic card?

Rob

alex156
03-13-2011, 05:07 PM
As a Porsche nut I am enjoying this one. Great work so far.

racer1
03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Very nice of course,what's the next Porsche?

lovegt40
03-14-2011, 02:15 PM
very very nice. I would like to convert the tamiya car in 24 into the version they made in 1/12.

How about a porsche 911 contest then? many of us deeply like this car in all its variants.

joka-1
03-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Hello,

For this one I didn't use any drawings, but I have used them for the 'Loos'-version I made. This is the 3th conversion from the 935 I made, but I still find things I can make better on them. (First was the Jägermeister, second the Loos, see picture in the attachment )
And yes, the 'Martini'-version is on my list to make, but I'm afraid for the decals.

Today I attached the windows, and fitted the interior, but I haven't made any pictures yet.

The next Porsche?
Currently I'm building the 911SC/RS, as base I used the Tamiya 911 road version. It will be the version from Robert Droogmans in 'Belga'-livery, a rally version.

Thanks for your comments.

robdebie
03-14-2011, 05:22 PM
For this one I didn't use any drawings, but I have used them for the 'Loos'-version I made. This is the 3th conversion from the 935 I made, but I still find things I can make better on them. (First was the Jägermeister, second the Loos, see picture in the attachment ).

Sorry to be persistent, but how did you tackle the job? Plastic card, putty, vacform parts? Did you maybe use the 1/12 kit as a guide? Please tell us more! :-)

Rob

joka-1
03-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Hello Rob,

I made the fenders from plasticard, I cutted them from a drawing which I found on internet, then I glued them on the rear fenders from the Tamiya 935. I cutted also the plasticard strips from the top vieuw drawings and bended the plasticard strips on the sides untill they touched each other. Then I glued these together and used putty to finish it.
It takes a lot of sanding till it looks OK.

I hope this will help you to make this model, don't give up at the first time.

joka-1
03-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Hello,

the model is finished, added bonnet pins, wiper.
Could be that I change the mesh grille at the front, this one isn't open. I ordered another type of mesh.

I'll take some other pictures outside this week.

robdebie
03-18-2011, 10:37 AM
I made the fenders from plasticard, I cutted them from a drawing which I found on internet, then I glued them on the rear fenders from the Tamiya 935. I cutted also the plasticard strips from the top vieuw drawings and bended the plasticard strips on the sides untill they touched each other. Then I glued these together and used putty to finish it.
It takes a lot of sanding till it looks OK.
Thanks for all the details! About a year ago I had the opportunity to study a customer 935 in detail at Spa, and ever since I have plans to start this conversion..

Rob

robdebie
03-18-2011, 10:48 AM
For this one I didn't use any drawings, but I have used them for the 'Loos'-version I made. This is the 3th conversion from the 935 I made, but I still find things I can make better on them. (First was the Jägermeister, second the Loos, see picture in the attachment )
One more question: did you use a DecalDoc set to build the Gelo / Loos car? Or is there another source for these markings?

Rob

joka-1
03-19-2011, 05:06 PM
One more question: did you use a DecalDoc set to build the Gelo / Loos car? Or is there another source for these markings?

Rob

Yes, I used the decaldoc decals for the GeLo version, good quality.

joka-1
03-20-2011, 05:38 AM
Hello,
I took some pictures outside this morning.
There are some faults in the model.

Hope you like them.

Add your comment to this topic!