01 Impala ignition cylinder

Dave43
03-07-2011, 12:17 PM
2001 Impala dash ignition cylinder. key wont turn. Haven done wd40 , hitting while turning. different keys.
Dealer wants $290 comes with passlock sensor. Apparently no after market.
Tryinging not to spend $500 as dealer says needs to be reset with their nmachine.
Any help with a few questions is appreciated.
Can only GM reset?
What about used? Likely req. GM reset but any other hurdles?
If a locksmith tumbled the used(or new) cylinder to my existing key, would that require a reset?
And finally,lol, haven't started to dissemble yet. Manual says afted removing ignition switch to insert key and turn to ON. Key doesn't move now, will it after removing switch?

j cAT
03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
2001 Impala dash ignition cylinder. key wont turn. Haven done wd40 , hitting while turning. different keys.
Dealer wants $290 comes with passlock sensor. Apparently no after market.
Tryinging not to spend $500 as dealer says needs to be reset with their nmachine.
Any help with a few questions is appreciated.
Can only GM reset?
What about used? Likely req. GM reset but any other hurdles?
If a locksmith tumbled the used(or new) cylinder to my existing key, would that require a reset?
And finally,lol, haven't started to dissemble yet. Manual says afted removing ignition switch to insert key and turn to ON. Key doesn't move now, will it after removing switch?

did you have a new unused key made for your vehicle ? try locksmith first . then see if dealer can make a key with your vin# or other vehicle info..copy keys seldom work . you need a new key made from the specific code that these have.

Dave43
03-07-2011, 01:41 PM
did you have a new unused key made for your vehicle ? try locksmith first . then see if dealer can make a key with your vin# or other vehicle info..copy keys seldom work . you need a new key made from the specific code that these have.

No haven't tried a new unused key.

"try locksmith first . then see if dealer can make a key with your vin# or other vehicle info.." = get a new key made for vehicle and locksmith can fix existing cylinder? Get new key from dealer and have locksmith set used cylinder and then have dealer reset?

j cAT
03-07-2011, 03:54 PM
No haven't tried a new unused key.

so what are you looking for more trouble ? you know how many times this occurs ? no unused back up key is why this occurs as well as not having a lock smith make good keys...hack key makers cause a lot of these problems..

now if you believe someone worked over your ignition key cylinder on a theift attempt that is another story.

since this is 10yrs old I would say a huge chance this is just a key.

changing the lock cylinder you will need alot of cash.

Dave43
03-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Got a dealer cut key from veh. vin. Still no go. Have a good key now though.
As the key is not chipped , the passlock sensor is combined with the ignition cylinder , should a locksmith be able to repair the tumblers in the cylinder without affecting the passlock aspect?

j cAT
03-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Got a dealer cut key from veh. vin. Still no go. Have a good key now though.
As the key is not chipped , the passlock sensor is combined with the ignition cylinder , should a locksmith be able to repair the tumblers in the cylinder without affecting the passlock aspect?

the lock smith should be able to repair the lock cylinder. since you have the correct key now this is all that is needed..you do not want to change the cyllinder just fix the tumblers. could be a broken spring or deBris causing them to stick etc...

SierraK1500
03-07-2011, 08:39 PM
there have been a few changes in the ignition switch from 01 to '05. i got a used swich from the junk yard, and had a locksmith re-key to my old ignition.

I installed it myself. Reconnected all the wiring AND the battery. I did a BCM
re-program and this is the steps to do it.

You should have a BCM in your car too. (Body Control Module)

Dealer wants money my friend. You can fix it under a hundred bucks. Your tumblers are or have finally worn out.

Take out the old cylinder. Disconnect all the wiring and reconnect the same.

Reinstall all dash trim. Re-connect the battery. Re-programming the BCM takes 30 minutes.

With the new ignition in place attempt to start the car. The lights should go out in the dash and comeback on when you release the key from start.

Turn off the ignition and this will sound dumb. Take the key out and re-insert the key. Turn the key to the run position and leave on for about 30 minutes.
Do not try to use the radio or operate the locks or the windows.

After 30 minutes goes by turn the key off and remove the key. If you do this before 30 minutes the BCM will not re-program itself. And you will waste another 30 mins.

Insert the key and start the car. She will fire up and run like it did before.
Try the windows , the blower and the locks. If they all work ok you did the job correctly. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

You will be surprised that the ignition does a multitude of jobs. Sends the correct power to the BCM and ignition. Good luck sir!

John

Dave43
03-08-2011, 12:00 PM
So have decided to go the locksmith route with yet to be determined original/used ignition switch. Because I have the switch almost out, only connected by the passlock connector.
Using Haynes Impala 95 thru 2005 manual. To remove the cylinder it states to insert the key and turn to ON. Release the lock cylinder by pressing the DETENT ( not 100% sure where) on the bottom of the switch and removing the cylinder with the key.
No luck pressing anything and pulling out with what grip the key gets. But I can't turn it to On either. Wonder if ON is for grip and tight fit or moves something to allow removal?
The only way to remove the passlock connector is with the cylinder removed.
Which may leave one option of snip passlock wires and splice in a used switch as likely wrecker will snip. Hate messing with passlock though, have the security light issue.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Dave43
03-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Saga continues,lol. Food for thought, if your key doesn't turn to the ON position you can't remove the cylinder from the switch. Had to cut the casing away to get it out. Waste of time as need another switch.
Looking now for a used switch, dealer wants $225, to go with my $290 cylinder that I broke down and got supposedly for times sake.Ha.
For those that can get the cylinder out some locksmiths do repin etc. Said $20-30 cdn. Unfortuneately 1 hr away for me hence the new one.
It all came out relatively easy as per Hanes manual, except, because you can't turn the key the gear shift(column) can't be lowered to remove the consol. Able to move it enough tho to get at switch bolts. And a few extra bolts for the knee brace.

Add your comment to this topic!