'99 dodge ram van-no oil pressure even after pump and filter replacement

ajsimon1631
03-07-2011, 08:53 AM
We have a 1999 dodge 1500 conversion van with a six cylinder engine. we had no oil pressure last a year and a half ago, and we replaced the oil pump and it was fixed. now, the engine wouldnt start the other day, because somtimes it has a hard time starting when its very cold or very wet, and after messing with it for a day it started, but now no oil pressure, as soon as it started up we noticed it. we used starter spray to start it. but i dont think that would make it have no oil pressure at all. So we replaced the oil pump again and replaced the filter, cleaned the screen. and still no pressure at all. and the engine sounds like a diesel now. we have no choice but to fix whats wrong because we have 5 children, and ones in a wheelchair so we need this van, especially because my husband just lost his job, so we cant just buy another one. can anyone out there tell us what else could be wrong. Ive heard it could be clogged passages, anyone have suggestions on how to unclog them? we do have really crudded up oil. and also ive been told it could be a stuck pressure relief valve. where is this located? any help would be appreciated

its not the sensor or sending unit, because our engine sounds like its getting no oil. we definitly dont have good oil pressure with a bad reading.

rhandwor
03-07-2011, 05:07 PM
We have a 1999 dodge 1500 conversion van with a six cylinder engine. we had no oil pressure last a year and a half ago, and we replaced the oil pump and it was fixed. now, the engine wouldnt start the other day, because somtimes it has a hard time starting when its very cold or very wet, and after messing with it for a day it started, but now no oil pressure, as soon as it started up we noticed it. we used starter spray to start it. but i dont think that would make it have no oil pressure at all. So we replaced the oil pump again and replaced the filter, cleaned the screen. and still no pressure at all. and the engine sounds like a diesel now. we have no choice but to fix whats wrong because we have 5 children, and ones in a wheelchair so we need this van, especially because my husband just lost his job, so we cant just buy another one. can anyone out there tell us what else could be wrong. Ive heard it could be clogged passages, anyone have suggestions on how to unclog them? we do have really crudded up oil. and also ive been told it could be a stuck pressure relief valve. where is this located? any help would be appreciated its not the sensor or sending unit, because our engine sounds like its getting no oil. we definitly dont have good oil pressure with a bad reading.
If the pan is removed pull a connecting rod bearing and check. Also pull a main bearing cap and look. These engines used to have a distributor gear driving the pump with a nylon gear. Check what drives this oil pump. A bad bearing will really drop the pressure.

Add your comment to this topic!