Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP>>>No oil pressure..replaced oil pump,filter..

ajsimon1631
03-06-2011, 06:46 PM
We have a 1999 dodge 1500 conversion van with a six cylinder engine. we had no oil pressure last a year and a half ago, and we replaced the oil pump and it was fixed. now, the engine wouldnt start the other day, because somtimes it has a hard time starting when its very cold or very wet, and after messing with it for a day it started, but now no oil pressure, as soon as it started up we noticed it. we used starter spray to start it. but i dont think that would make it have no oil pressure at all. So we replaced the oil pump again and replaced the filter, cleaned the screen. and still no pressure at all. and the engine sounds like a diesel now. we have no choice but to fix whats wrong because we have 5 children, and ones in a wheelchair so we need this van, especially because my husband just lost his job, so we cant just buy another one. can anyone out there tell us what else could be wrong?

MagicRat
03-06-2011, 07:17 PM
I wonder if there is something broken in the oil pump drive, such as a broken or distorted oil pump drive shaft

ajsimon1631
03-06-2011, 07:43 PM
How would we be able to see that? and can that happen overnight, or just trying to start it? also husband says that he grabbed the shaft that goes to the pump and it was secure and didnt turn

Chris Stewart
03-07-2011, 07:35 AM
I suspect the oil pressure sensor.
Take the oil pressure sensor off and screw in a mechanical pressure gauge. Turn the engine over with the starter and see if you get some pressure on the gauge.

danielsatur
03-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Symptoms of a cold hard start could be a bad, or dirty Massive Air Flow (MAF), or Incoming Air temp sensor.

I had a bad MAF/IACT sensor on my 1995 Towncar, it had a diesel effect when started in the early cold, if the engine was turned off, and restart she would be fine.
The computer, and engine got a little confuse with mixed signals from the MAF & H20 sensors signals.

You might consider a new oil pressure sending unit, and a new guage to check oil pressure.
No oil pressure to the hydraulic lifters would sound like a dodge diesel.

How many miles are on your van?
Do you buy a new, or remanufactured oil pressure pump?

Airjer_
03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
The oil pump is run by a shaft that is turned by the distributor, right?

If it is than why not pull the distributor and see what shape the shaft is in.

Add your comment to this topic!