Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 89 Lebaron 2.5 intermittent fuel pump problem

abeduque
03-04-2011, 07:31 PM
My 89 Lebaron is giving me intermittent starting problems. The car runs great once I get it started, but I need to turn the ignition switch a few times until I hear the fuel pump go on before the car can turn on. Sometimes I hear it on the first turn and sometimes it takes a dozen. But once I hear the humming of the fuel pump it starts instantly. Until then I just open and close the ignition. Luckily the car almost always eventually turns on. I replaced the fuel pump relay and fuel pressure regulator but there was no change. When the car actually starts I have great fuel pressure.
I used to start it by spraying starter fluid in the intake but since I learned to listen for the hum of the fuel pump this has not been the case.
Can anyone help me solve this mystery? It's driving me crazy!

brcidd
03-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Next time it does not come on, have someone Whaaaaap bottom of fuel tank as you turn key on...If pump leaps into action by being bumped, you have a bad fuel pump and it needs replaced. Sooner or later it will leave you stranded- it is worn out.

abeduque
03-04-2011, 08:37 PM
I have tried that.
It has not responded. Any other thoughts?

brcidd
03-04-2011, 08:47 PM
If your hot and ground to FP all check out.. then it's pretty cut and dry-- replace the FP.

Add your comment to this topic!