Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Are Products from "Standard Motor Products" good?

MAD King
03-04-2011, 09:34 AM
They are cheap compare to other part mfg.
Could anyone recommend parts from this mfg?

Thank you

jeffcoslacker
03-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Standard is pretty much what most parts stores carry.....their stuff is repackaged under many brand names. They also are an OE supplier for some components.

Usually OE quality. Never had any problems I can remember.

What part in particular?

MAD King
03-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Ignition Coils and Module.

'97ventureowner
03-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Standard is pretty much what most parts stores carry.....their stuff is repackaged under many brand names. They also are an OE supplier for some components.

Usually OE quality. Never had any problems I can remember.

:iagree: I've sold a lot of Standard parts when I worked in the parts business in the '80s and we really didn't have any complaints or returns because of quality issues with their products. At the time they were a reasonably priced alternative to other brands available. It's like store brand food products you find in the grocery stores. Many are made at the same facilities as the national brands by the national brands, they are just repackaged with a different label.

MAD King
03-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Thank you very much.
I am now safe with buying products from this mfg.

Schurkey
03-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Interesting.

I'd have said that Standard (and especially the Blue Streak sub-brand) is among the FINEST components you could get, at least as good as OEM, and BETTER than OEM in many instances.

I thought they were at the upper end of the cost structure, but below the "boutique" brands like MSD and Accel; or OEM parts purchased through a Stealership. Put another way, I thought they were top-tier replacement parts (but not insane-profit-margin "hot rod" parts)

I wonder if they've done some cost-cutting in the years since I used them heavily.

'97ventureowner
03-05-2011, 02:03 AM
I remember a magazine article that came out in the late 1980s which looked at the quality of replacement parts available at parts stores. They looked at various things such as the thickness of the walls of GM distributors and the contact surface area of Ford and GM rotors (ignition) and a host of other replacement parts. The general consensus was that the Standard brand beat out many other brands inn these test and got high ratings from the article's author. The story even had pictures showing the differences in some of the different brands pertaining to the items I mentioned above.

Add your comment to this topic!