Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 Civic Idle Problem

dpizzarella
03-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I have a 88' Honda Civic DX 1.5L When I put the new motor in about 3 weeks ago I noticed it had an idle problem when the motor warms up it will go from about 2500 - 3000 RPM to 700 - 1000 RPM. This only happens after the motor is warmed up on cold starts it idles fine no problem. when this problem occured I unpluged the map sensor. the idle problem stopped but the idle was a little high but stayed at that rpm. I got a used Map sensor at the wrecking yard and it helped alot but now its getting worse same thing i unpluged it and it stoped the changing rpm's anyone else have this problem or know what else could be wroung or do i need to get another map sensor??? Thank You

Tony
03-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Check all the vacuum lines for leaks. There are several usual culprits for the idle doing that, I just can't think of them at the moment other than vacuum leaks.

dpizzarella
03-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I checked all the lines and replaced the 1 line going to the map sensor. seemed to fix the surging from high to low rpm's but it still seems to idle a little high any ideas? i cleaned the throttle linkage up but nothing any ideas would be great, thanks

90civicrider
03-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I checked all the lines and replaced the 1 line going to the map sensor. seemed to fix the surging from high to low rpm's but it still seems to idle a little high any ideas? i cleaned the throttle linkage up but nothing any ideas would be great, thanks

Have you tried adjusting the idle screw? Whats the idle sitting at?

Tony
03-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I would adjust the linkage before the idle screw.

Add your comment to this topic!