Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

04 LS DCCV wiring harness melted

Jewff1017
03-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Gentlemen I have a question. My car was blowing heat all the time and after reading some of the intel on this site and running a few checks I decided it was the DCCV. I bought a new one and while changing it i noticed that the old DCCV was burnt up and so was the wiring harness plug. I went ahead and installed the new one hoping the harness would still work. Well it worked great for about a half hour then the ac compressor stopped coming on! I checked the freon and it is good. I believe it is the harness (and yes I checked the fuse). On the harness was a tag with the numbers 3W4T-18C463-BC but i can not find it online. Any ideas about the problem or where I can get another harness?

danielsatur
03-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Doe's the heat damage seem tobe from coolant heat, or electrical damage?
A fuse/relay should protect a circuit from any electrical problem.

shorod
03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
The DCCV supply is probably on a 10A fuse. That's still sufficient current to melt an electrical connection if the connection is loose or corroded without the fuse blowing. I don't see any way that the engine coolant could possibly get hot enough to damage only the electrical connector area of the DCCV and not the rest of the DCCV housing or other components in contact with the cooling system, block, or head. The CHT sensor should have shut down cylinders long before the coolant could get that hot as well.

I would suspect that whatever is wrong with the DCCV electrical connection to cause the heat originally is still then, and probably compounding the issue is melted plastic on contacts as well.

Out of curiosity, how did you check the R-134a refrigerant to determine it is "good"?

-Rod

Jewff1017
03-03-2011, 07:12 PM
It is a electrical burn. Looks to me like the DCCV shorted out causing the plug to melt. I checked the freon with my gauges. Tied into the low side and pressure was at 80. The new DCCV seems to be working and the ac did work for a short road trip and then it quit (meaning comp. will not kick on).

danielsatur
03-03-2011, 07:59 PM
A bad DCCV could leak coolant causing the short!

I would consider finding a connector and wire from a salvage yard.
Color code the wire to the pin connection, I think it's 3-wires to the DCCV.

Jewff1017
03-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Yeah that is probably the plan. I was wondering if anyone knew what the harness is called or a place to find it online. I will check my local junk yards.

shorod
03-04-2011, 06:33 AM
I don't know about the harness part number. My recall is this harness is relatively short so you shouldn't need to cut it to install a new connector for the DCCV. I believe it is one piece from the DCCV to the passenger side upper of the radiator, where it connects to another harness. I don't believe there are any pigtails for it between the connection at the radiator and the DCCV.

If you are interested in buying a new harness you could contact Torrie at Fast Parts Network (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=318) to find out price and availability. He's always been speedy at replying to my requests.

You might try a self diagnostic on the HVAC system from the control head to see if it identifies anything that might explain the compressor failing to run after some amount of time. Have you checked for voltage to the clutch coil to determine if the issue is in the control or in the clutch assembly? I know it's not a fun one to get to.

-Rod

Jewff1017
03-04-2011, 07:37 AM
I have ran the diagnostic but the only code it gives me now is 12 65 which I guess im suppose to ignore. I have not checked the voltage at the compr yet. The harness does split off, The short pigtail goes to the DCCV but where it ties in by the radiator it splits off and runs down underneath. I have not had a chance to trace it out fully yet.

danielsatur
03-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Cut the DCCV connector off on your car at the conn, and cut the wire on the doner car at the harness, so you have extra wire to splice the connection.

Jewff1017
03-04-2011, 03:37 PM
I am trying to locate one in a junk yard but no dice. the harness is 70 dollars from the dealer. Trying to get a local part number for it besides the 3W4T-18C463-BC that was on the plug and also have seen it refered to as a C134 connector. Im gonna inspect it pretty hard this weekend and see if I can find any further info out.

danielsatur
03-04-2011, 03:56 PM
C134 type connectors are used on several types of Fords, do a Google ''C134''
Don't just look for a Lincoln LS in salvage yards.
Notice the color code to the pin connection befor cutting the connector.

shorod
03-04-2011, 08:51 PM
C134 is the connector designator for the vehicle, it has nothing to do with the "type" of connector! Ie: C134 in an Explorer is not the same form factor as C134 in the LS.

-Rod

danielsatur
03-05-2011, 12:07 PM
One from a Jaguar (Ford) Dccv wire conn would probably fit too!
Try Ebay, Ebay classifieds, and Craigs for a doner salvage Car with DCCV part c134.
There's plenty out there from bad collisions and engines.
The owner would probably give you one for free, but have him cut it at the buss line.

danielsatur
05-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Found two Lincoln LS's @ LKQX in garner, NC.
It might be worth buying a use DCCV with a new connector.
Let me know if you need one.

danielsatur
07-11-2012, 08:06 PM
I noticed a few electrical connectors to the DCCV on several lincolns were bad.
If we had bad connections to the DCCV, the sediment from the coolant system could cause the DCCV to seized up.

Add your comment to this topic!