Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 LeSabre Exhaust Smells Potent

CarDude225
03-03-2011, 09:58 AM
I just replaced the PCM due to it basically going haywire.

I noticed that during my troubleshooting and now after the PCM has been replaced, the exhaust smells very "potent" even after the eng is hot. It is my wife's car and I don't know if this was going on before the PCM went haywire but I bet it was.

You know how there is a little bit of water that drips from the tailpipe? Well the water has little bit of black soot in it. Could this be an indicator of a rich fuel/air condition? The exhaust does not smell like unburned fuel like old carbed cars. It just smells "strong".

What else could cause this potent smell?

Scrapper
03-03-2011, 10:25 AM
the water comming out is normal and souds like it's burning to rich. you mite get some cleaner for your throttle body and doing this take hose of at throttle body you look inside see if it's black if so clean it out with the spray and clean it out might want to run a rag in there if not all black is gone off the little butter fly in throttle body. is your check engine lite on?

CarDude225
03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
No check engine light. Thanks.

HotZ28
03-03-2011, 09:26 PM
The PCM going "haywire" may have damaged the cat. Take it to a muffler shop and have the back-pressure checked.

Jrs3800
03-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Very possible to have a bad cat... also very possible to have a bad O2 that may be flat lining.... The PCM will not flag the O2 until its literally Flat Dead...

Would be good to get a Scan Tool on this car and see what the voltage swing is as well as the cross currents... This car will have a 4 wire heated O2, AC Delco AFS-75, the normal life is 60,000 miles or so then the rate can start to drop off...

I'd say clean the MAF with MAF Cleaner, Have the exhaust system back pressure checked like stated... Checking that O2 is also important...

If you were closer I could scan the car...lol

Add your comment to this topic!