Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 metro problems

metroman61
03-02-2011, 05:00 PM
I have a 93 metro 3dr hatchback 3cyl 1 liter 5 speed with a fuel injected throttle body that floods when I try to start it. I was able to take out the fuel pump relay and / or the fuel injector fuse and crank the fuel out then replace them to start it for awhile. That no longer works. The mech tells me its not a throttle body issue. Maybe map sensor, egr or ecu? It all started with loss of power and it was bucking for awhile while accelerating before it got to the point now it won't start. Any similar problems or a solution to this issue?
Thx folks!

Woodie83
03-03-2011, 04:50 AM
First thing to look at is the injector. Get a strong, small flashlight and shine it down the throttle body so you can see the cone of fuel being injected. After the car has been sitting for a while, remove the top of the air cleaner and the filter. Look down there to see if it looks wet. Have someone turn the key to "run" while you're looking, you should hear the fuel pump run for three seconds or so, but see nothing come out of the injector. Then have them turn the key to "start", watch you don't get your tie caught in the belts (you are wearing a tie like a proper mechanic, right?) You should see a nice cone of gas spraying out of the injector made up of even, very fine drops. If there are dribbles or big drops of gas, that's no good.

The other thing right next to the injector is the fuel pressure regulator, they go bad too. Hook a fuel pressure gauge into the feed line (the larger of the two) Pressure should be 23 - 30 psi with the key on and engine off, 13 - 20 psi with the engine idling. If you pinch closed the fuel return hose and turn the key on without starting the engine (might have to cycle the key on and off a couple of times to build up pressure, you should get close to 45 psi.

When it does flood as you're trying to start it, flooring the gas pedal should signal the PCM to go into a "flood clear" mode and allow the engine to crank over with no fuel injected, much simpler than pulling the fuse, but if the injector is leaking gas when closed, this might not help you.

91 ragtop
03-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Time to do a compression test. The plugs foul out quite easily when the compression gets too low.

Ken....

Woodie83
03-04-2011, 05:17 AM
Oh, duh, very good point 91 ragtop. Low compression does refuse to start when cold, and will leave the plugs covered with fuel that wasn't compressed enough to light off.

metroman61
03-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm getting a good fuel spray cone and good fuel pressures, but I think you and 91 ragtop are right. my compression is low and I think I'll change the plugs again and
then try that as they do get fouled out with fuel. Thanks guys, and I will try to keep my tie out of the belts.

Add your comment to this topic!