Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

About to buy an '02 I35... I have questions..

heyraver
03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm about to buy '02 infiniti I35, very beautiful car but high miles (190K)
I'm purchasing the car for 3k, is it worth it?
Should I worry about the timing chain or tranny?

Thanks for feedback!

heyraver
03-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Oh yeah, it has the 3.5 motor.

Nahkapohjola
03-03-2011, 04:10 AM
I'm about to buy '02 infiniti I35, very beautiful car but high miles (190K)
I'm purchasing the car for 3k, is it worth it?
Should I worry about the timing chain or tranny?

Thanks for feedback!

General issues to check:

At 190k it has now (?) 2nd set of shock absobers, 3rd set have to be swapped in (I'd be now running 4th set.). Second water pump, exhaust pipe and alt about to die. Coilpacks (600-1000$ set) - swapped or not? Axle boots? When was last tranny oil change; when was brake fluid changed (if none, forget it). Brake fluid swap minimum once in 3yrs. Pads and rotors wear, calipers need service....
Any documents on those?

Cooling liquid: clean fluid or oily smudge? If clean, proceed... to oil stick. How does that look like. History of oil changes?

The chain. It should last lifetime - but will it? Get the idea how much that job i$ - if/when it becomes noisy.

Open trunk, peek under carpets around rear wheel wells (have a bright lamp ready). Rust? If so, find another... Check same area inside cabin, under seat.

Is it worth it? Depends how long youre going to keep it, how much you are willing shell out to replace all the worn out -parts waiting to be replaced... Check ten nearest similar HI MILEAGE cars and compare. (Theres no free miles: I am always after low mileage cars... gettin a real one needs patience; most cars sold have their mileage tampered)

speediva
03-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Great comprehensive answer, Nahkapohjola.

If you can find out if the car was local, see if you can't find the Infiniti dealership where it was serviced most frequently and find out what work has been done. I know buying used and high mileage can be a RISKY venture. I recently bought a used Civic with 190k on it and with NO sign of warning, the starter just died.

I can say that you had best be prepared to find a GOOD foreign auto parts store in the area if you're planning on doing any maintenance/repair work yourself. If not, be prepared to pay slightly higher prices to have the work done by Infiniti with Infiniti parts. Sometimes I was able to get away with some work on my former Infin at a Nissan dealership, but half the workers didn't even know the engine in my G20 was identical to the Sentra...

Good luck in whatever decision you make. Post back and let us know how it's going!

Add your comment to this topic!