Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

WHO'S diesel?

dgh.truenorth
02-25-2011, 07:42 PM
I need a truck. With a diesel this time. Can anyone cast aside loyaltys and tell me where I can find realistic reliability and maintenance cost data on Cummins v/s Powerstroke v/s Duramax engines, say 2006 to now? How about fuel consumption, and related trany's? Most publications that I've seen are not specific enough. Thanks hey!

slo99sierra
02-25-2011, 09:13 PM
The newer LML Dmax recently outclassed and outworked the new Powerstroke diesel.

You can't even compare Cummins diesels to the Duramax or Powerstroke/Navistar engines.

But I'd say, Cummins would be your best bet if you are going to be pullin something.

dgh.truenorth
02-26-2011, 10:34 AM
The newer LML Dmax recently outclassed and outworked the new Powerstroke diesel.

You can't even compare Cummins diesels to the Duramax or Powerstroke/Navistar engines.

But I'd say, Cummins would be your best bet if you are going to be pullin something.

Thanks for the reply.
Can you explain why the Cummins is not comparable to the others? Are you referring to available towing power?

slo99sierra
02-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Can you explain why the Cummins is not comparable to the others? Are you referring to available towing power?

The CTD engines are Inline 6/Straight 6 cylinder engines. The Powerstroke/Navistar and Duramax engines are V8 engines.

The way the Cummins pulls will be different than how a Powerstroke/Navistar and Duramax engine will pull, simple because of it's configuration of cylinders.

It's really by preference. I'd read up on all 3 and you can decide what you want.

Brandon Archer
03-03-2011, 03:23 PM
well, to be honest it really depends on if you want a manual or auto too, but the Dmax trany and motor are really reliable but not enough torqu.. the Powerstroke at 06 is a 6.0L international motor and is reliable and has plenty of power, the 07-09 is a 6.4L international motor and is okay depending on if ur planning to put a Tune or programmer in it but the 07 keep blowing the bottom end, but they have plenty of power, now we get into the New 2010 and 2011 F-250 witch has the NEW 6.7L Ford built Powerstroke and it has the most power and so far nothing has gone wrong with them, dad works for ford and he was test driving one and dry assfault going 30 or 25 he punched it and it broke the tires loose, so right there tells u they have plenty power stock, but the Cummins diesel is the best for all around, the I6 torqus up faster there for makeing better acceleration and pulling, but the Dodges tranys suck, if you get a Auto and planning to pull havy loads then be planning to put ur money in the tranny, but for the average man and all i would get the 06 F-250 plenty power and reliable, but if u want a manual i would get cummins

dgh.truenorth
03-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Okay! If anyone is still following this thread I now realize that that kind of hard data simply doesn't exist. So.... I found almost no Dodge trucks available that met my criteria. GM was in the running but a) they really choked on warranty issues with my 2500HD, b) I got a lot more clear and frank info from Ford owners/mechanics/dealers. So.... I bought an '07 6.0 Ford with 70,000km and will deal with the EGR issue, one way or the other, when it's out of warranty. Chose the '07 6.0 v/s the '08 6.4 for fuel economy advantage, max power not being a huge issue. Thanks for your input guys.

Add your comment to this topic!