Page updated on 12-18-2017

95 caprice tried everything!!!

headlb23
02-25-2011, 11:29 AM
i have a 1995 caprice with a 4.3 in it. the car jus killed one day while i was driving and now it starts and runs for about 5 sec and kills! at first i thought i put bad gas in it but it doesn't seem to be the case. i have changed the optispark, map sensor, mass air flow, o2 sensors and all of the fuses are good and connections are clean. now at first it seemed to be flooding with gas because it starts runs putts and kills. all of the new spark plugs are covered wit a black dust like they are old. i had it put on a machine and it gives code 42. man im drove and fed up! can anyone help?

j cAT
02-25-2011, 12:07 PM
i have a 1995 caprice with a 4.3 in it. the car jus killed one day while i was driving and now it starts and runs for about 5 sec and kills! at first i thought i put bad gas in it but it doesn't seem to be the case. i have changed the optispark, map sensor, mass air flow, o2 sensors and all of the fuses are good and connections are clean. now at first it seemed to be flooding with gas because it starts runs putts and kills. all of the new spark plugs are covered wit a black dust like they are old. i had it put on a machine and it gives code 42. man im drove and fed up! can anyone help?

check the ignition coil connections. corroded is a common issue.

check the underhood fuse box firewall passengerside. a large wire supplying 12volts to the fuse box has caused this to occur. you will see the mounting point melted.

ryanusrey2012
05-03-2011, 10:40 AM
If you have not yet found a solution check out the EGR valve could be stuck open just pull it out and clean it off.

96capricemgr
05-05-2011, 07:29 PM
When you put a scanner on it what does it say the engine temp is??? The pcm's temp sender is the one in the waterpump. If they fail and read -40degrees or whatever it is the engine will start hard and stall because the computer injects way too much fuel.

On these cars if you suspect a flooded condition you can hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking and it wont inject any more fuel. Be careful though because if it starts you want to let off the throttle.

headlb23
05-23-2011, 05:00 PM
i got the car started but now it has no acceleration! i can run faster because it's just chugging along. list of new parts ecm,egr, map, throttle position, idle air control, opti distributor, fuel pressure reg, mas, starter, 02 sensor just one and now im gonna change the knock sensor and the injectors on the passenger side since that seems to be where the miss is. im all out of ideas because there is no caddi converter. anyone with same symptoms or ideas please help!:banghead: oh i forgot the fuel pump

j cAT
05-23-2011, 06:51 PM
i got the car started but now it has no acceleration! i can run faster because it's just chugging along. list of new parts ecm,egr, map, throttle position, idle air control, opti distributor, fuel pressure reg, mas, starter, 02 sensor just one and now im gonna change the knock sensor and the injectors on the passenger side since that seems to be where the miss is. im all out of ideas because there is no caddi converter. anyone with same symptoms or ideas please help!:banghead: oh i forgot the fuel pump

post the failure codes if any..........measure the fuel pressure.should be around 47 psi. also on engine off should not drop rapidly...fuel filter replaced ???

the ECT can cause poor/no start..did you replace this or check the resistance when cold / and hot and compare to the temp resistance chart ? this is in the water pump..

what plugs do you have in there? if fouled from before they may need to be replaced. measure the plug wires for proper resistance..could be bad wires..not an easy engine with these wires routed can be damaged easy ...

headlb23
05-24-2011, 09:47 AM
fuel filter is new so are the plugs and wires but ill check them again to see if they are fouled out. the coolant temp sensor in the water pump is new the plug for it is new also. i need to check the 02 sensor on the passenger side to see if its burned out. the only other thing would be the injectors. double plat plugs are in it. anymore ideas please reply because i think im really close! thanks alot!!:banghead: fuel pressure is good also

j cAT
05-24-2011, 10:04 AM
fuel filter is new so are the plugs and wires but ill check them again to see if they are fouled out. the coolant temp sensor in the water pump is new the plug for it is new also. i need to check the 02 sensor on the passenger side to see if its burned out. the only other thing would be the injectors. double plat plugs are in it. anymore ideas please reply because i think im really close! thanks alot!!:banghead: fuel pressure is good also

you replaced alot of parts ,,,many where probably worn out etc....

what are the failure codes in this vehicle...with your issues this must have some !

headlb23
05-24-2011, 10:28 AM
ill get them and post them later. thanks!

j cAT
05-24-2011, 05:31 PM
ill get them and post them later. thanks!

also make sure the crankcase vent / PCV ,,,,3/8 hoses have no leaks or cracks....

headlb23
05-25-2011, 05:50 PM
i have a damaged plug on the passenger side 02 sensor so that is not even hooked up. i'll replace that and see what happens then. stay with me brotha :jerking: praying!!!

headlb23
06-21-2011, 05:53 PM
man man man.... still having the same issues with my caprice. its giving me a code 16. the car ran fine for 3 days then on the fourth day it started chugga luggin again! NO POWER WHATSOEVER! i dont know if the opti is defective or the connector i changed is faulty. im at a loss for words:runaround:

j cAT
06-22-2011, 08:44 AM
man man man.... still having the same issues with my caprice. its giving me a code 16. the car ran fine for 3 days then on the fourth day it started chugga luggin again! NO POWER WHATSOEVER! i dont know if the opti is defective or the connector i changed is faulty. im at a loss for words:runaround:

did you check these items ? what did you find ? water pump weep hole , corroded heat damaged wire to the underhood fuse box, vacuum leaks, vacuum reading at idle, egr sticking, coil ignition for clean connections ,opti connector at the intake manifold, fuel pressure etc...so what did you find ?

contaminated fuel is another possibility...

how did you disable and remove the air pump/and the other air injection components ?

Add your comment to this topic!