Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Pumps!

PrixGT
02-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Here is my problem 1995 Blazer. It cranks and starts after about 2-3 trys I turned it off and back on and heard the pump kick in then turned it off again and back on this time did not hear the pump. Is it normal to not prime every time or is this a bad pump. I only have issues when I let it sit over night. If I take it to work and start it up after 8 hrs it works and drives perfectly fine. no rough idol when it is running. I havent checked the fuel pressure yet im just hoping this is a common problem that someone can give me alittle insight of where to start.

brcidd
02-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Last '95 I looked at that acted as yours does-- had a bad ignition switch-- ther was NO power to pink wire during "starter crank" position. It was wierd to diagnose- my biggest hint was that it would give one shot as soon as I left off the key as ignition switch returned to "run" position. I put a test lite on the ignition coil and watched it closely-- as I turned ignition switch from "off" to run, light lit.. then as I rotated switch to "start" light went out- (just when it needs to be on most!) Then it came back on when I returned switch to "run" position. So a new ignition switch was in order...

Testing will prove your problem-- attach a fuel pressure gage to fuel line- and a test light to ignition coil hot (pink) wire--and report back

PrixGT
02-27-2011, 10:51 AM
So I went back out to the car and found out that the Relay clicks when the pump works but there is time where the pump primes for about half a second and then just stops primeing.( sometimes it primes the full 2 seconds that is when it starts like normal). when it stops after a half second the relay clicks twice really quick. When the fuel pump does not prime at all the relay does not click at all. Does this verify that my ignition switch is the culpret. or could it possibly be a bad relay. is there any way to check the relay to make sure the ignition switch is sending power to the relay every time I turn the key?

brcidd
02-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Sure!! Swap that relay with a similar one--like the horn relay-- as long as it is the same part number they'll swap out fine. Then see if problem persists.

Add your comment to this topic!