Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1988 Chevy 350 Oil Pressure Reading Maxed Out

bluewater1
02-24-2011, 06:38 PM
I have a Chevy 1500 with 84,000 miles on it. The oil pressure sensor went out in April 09. I was also getting the check engine light with the pow oil pressure reading. I put a new one on it and the gauge was working fine. Last week the gauge started reading 60 all the time regardless of whether I am idling or driving. I am presumeing that it is the sensor again. Any other opinions out there? Otherthan that, it runs fine. Thanks.

777stickman
02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Aloha and welcome to the forum. On your '88 350 there should be a 1/4" plug in the front of the block on the pass side where you can install a manual gauge. It's about the same height as the front timing cover. Most likely need to remove some accessories to get it done.

1st thing to check though is the connection at the sending unit. I think that if the gauge does not get a resistance ground signal thru the sending unit it may go to full scale.

Let us know.

bluewater1
02-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Your are 100% correct. I disconnected the wire and it remained on max. I replaced the wire and it remaind on max. I took the wire off and reconnected it again, this time I "tweaked" (for lack of the correct technical term for the action) the place where the wire fits into the clip and the gauge is working again. I trust that the connection between the wire and the clip that slips onto the sensor is weak. It would be difficult, but not impossible due to the length (its short) of the wire and location to crimp another clip on the end. We'll see how long this lasts. It is funny how many of those wires underneath the motor that go to the various sensors are so flimsy and exposed to vibration, heat, water etc. Thanks for the help.

MrPbody
02-25-2011, 07:58 AM
In automotive "vernacular", "tweaked" would be "bendometrics"... "Tweaked" could be a "subversive" street term...

Argh! Argh! Humor...

Glad you fixed the problem easily.

Jim

bluewater1
02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Me to. I have an 84 Jeep CJ-7 here that has more than enough wrong with it to keep me busy full time.

Add your comment to this topic!