Truck Won't Stay Running

fockerized152
02-24-2011, 01:07 PM
So I just bought my 97 ram 1500 last night. Test drove the hell out of it. Everything was perfect. Started it up this morning, everything was fine. Took it for an oil change, they got done, started it up and pulled out front. I got in and tried starting it and it would sorta start up, but then die right away. Played round with it a little bit, found if you gave it gas it would stay running but would die as soon as you let off it. After about 20 mins, it started up fine just like before and I ended up driving home. When I got home, shut the truck off, turned it back on and it died again. What could be wrong with it??

danielsatur
02-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Almost sounds like sabotage!

You need Air, fuel, ignition timing, and exhaust.

Air - New air filter, and clean MAF/IAT sensors and connectors.
Also clean your throttle body.

Fuel - New Fuel filter, and a fuel pressure test.

Ign - Plug wires, coils, crank, and cam sensors.

Exhaust - Do a back pressure catalytic converter test.

How many miles are on this truck?
When was the last tune up?

fockerized152
02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
It only has 80K on it. We took the air filter off and it was doing the same thing. Forgot to mention that. I have no idea when the last tune up was. I just bought it last night.
Why would it of ran amazing last night, this morning, and then out of nowhere start doing that??

fockerized152
02-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Just went out there after 2-3 hours of sitting. Started right up. Turned it off, and on again. No problems. Very lost on what it could be. Please help

aleekat
02-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Unless you do some basic diagnosis when it doesn't start, you won't get much help.
Do you have spark?
Are the plugs wet/dry?
Will it start with starting fluid?
Just some examples.

fockerized152
02-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Took it to the mechanic of the place I bought it from. They said that the idle air control valve was messed up. So they are fixing that and then also replacing the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. So it should drive like a champ when I get it back.

Add your comment to this topic!