Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gas Gauge Problems

chesleeb
02-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey everyone, I have a serious problem with my gas gauge it does not read it is always jumping all over the place and I now have to calculate my mileage. I have run out of many of times with my two small children and I can't take it any more. I was told that i would have to replace the fuel sending unit and now I was told it could be a fuel sensor. I am at a real loss because I don't know what to repair both or just the sending unit, I have had this problem for some years now and before the part was really expensive now they sell a universal part with pump and its cheaper. Lets just say if its a good idea to replace the sensor where do I get and what is the name. Sorry this is a long post I just need help and I want to get my car fixed.

97 buick LeSabre limited 120,000 new engine

maxwedge
02-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Should be diagnosed first but it is usually the fuel level sender in the tank, BTW this is not an easy job as the tank must be removed to do this.

big white bufflo
02-24-2011, 07:30 PM
the fuel sending unit is located in the tank and it would be a good idea to replace the pump at the same time because the tank has to be take out of the car and you can buy the complete unit as one just check at your local parts store and ask for a fuel sending unit with pump

happydog500
02-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Should be diagnosed first but it is usually the fuel level sender in the tank, BTW this is not an easy job as the tank must be removed to do this.I'm not mechanical at all and I found changing the pump/sending unit pretty easy.
Slide under, unhook the fuel lines, unbolt the two bolts from one side of the strap, unhook the rubber band that holds the muffler so u can move the exhaust over a few inches, unscrew the clamp from the fill tube, drop it down. Very surprised it was that easy.

Remember, in 97 they changed in the middle of the year, so you have two different ones. On the electric wires that go to the tank, it will have a tag with letters. You need to get the right one. If you slide under and look up at the wires, you should be able to see it hanging from the wires.

Chris.

chesleeb
02-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Thank you all for your input and advice. I have another question the dealer was telling me that it could be my fuel sensor unit should I change all three to be on the safe side?

HotZ28
02-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Some people refer to the fuel sending unit, as the fuel level sensor, but they are the same unit. If you want to replace the complete level sensor/sending unit & pump/strainer assembly, you would only have one unit to replace, which includes the sending unit/level sensor, pump & strainer. If you purchase the complete assembly as shown below, it is one piece. BTW, the pic is for illustration purposes only. You can get the same complete assembly from the dealer (or other providers) with the ACDelco brand (which is much preferred); but the cost will be significantly higher.

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=1042761&imageurl=http%3A//info.rockauto.com/SPI/m_sp07p1h.jpg

happydog500
02-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Another tip. At least for me, once you get the strainer on, that's it. It has little teeth that bite into the fuel pump. You will bend the teeth when taking it off. Plus, once I took off the filter, instead of bending the teeth from the screen, it broke off the tip of the pump. Glad I got another one. Did have to go back to the auto parts store, which took longer then I wanted to do for the job. With the experience I had, if I ever do it again, I will always use a new pump when replacing a sending unit.

Chris.

Add your comment to this topic!