Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need advice on Saturns.

Virginian
02-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey folks,

I need some advice on buying a used Saturn. I don't have the model yet but someone is telling me about one that's available. I understand they've quit making Saturns. Is this true? And if so will I be able to get parts for it should I decide to buy it?

Also, I don't know very much about them, like how good of a car are they? I've heard they are real good and others say not so much so.

Can anyone give me some feedback? Thanks.

danielsatur
02-20-2011, 02:42 PM
There's a greaveyard of cheap parts at any local salvage yard.

speediva
02-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Saturns are relatively reliable overall - but some models were more reliable than others. You'll want to find out the year and model as soon as you can to do more specific research. Also, if you can get the VIN you'll want to verify that the car was never totaled out or flooded.

Finally, Saturn is no longer in production - so that much is true. However, there is a law stating that all manufacturers must have a supply of parts for 10 years post-production. And as danielsatur mentioned, there's always junk yards for parts!

Good luck in your shopping!

Virginian
02-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Hi speediva and danielsatur,

Thank you for the help. If I get the vin where can I find this information at? And just out of curiosity, would you happen to know what year they stopped manufacturing them?

And thanks again

speediva
02-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi speediva and danielsatur,

Thank you for the help. If I get the vin where can I find this information at? And just out of curiosity, would you happen to know what year they stopped manufacturing them?

And thanks again

Anytime!

The VIN will be located in several different places on the car, and all the VIN codes should match. Probably the easiest to read will be on the driver's side "under" the windshield. Once you've got the VIN, you will have to pay for a report from one of several sources. AutoCheck.com and Carfax.com are the two with which I'm most familiar. When I bought my most recent used car, I used AutoCheck because it was cheaper than Carfax.

Things to watch for on either report are whether it was totaled, flooded, in an accident, if it was registered routinely. A car that was registered on a regular basis should hopefully give you some idea of how frequently and how far the car was driven yearly because the mileage has to be provided each time it's registered.

Also, according to Wikipedia, it appears Saturn as a company ceased existence October 31, 2010: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Corporation

Virginian
02-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Hey speediva,

I didn't know what all was on carfax, etc. Thank you very much!

Add your comment to this topic!