Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 altima. sound when accelerating and turning.

bmorebuick88
02-20-2011, 02:05 AM
I recently bought an altima and a few things concern me. When I turn on the car I. Hear a loud squeeking sound by the engine for about a minute then it goes away when I drive off but reappears when I turn my wheel to turn left or right then goes away while driving straight. Now the sound doesn't go away and is there when I press down on the pedal. If I'm just coasting the sound goes away but as soon as I prrss the pedal it comes back. I think it could be a few things but I'm not sure. Serpentine belt? Power steering? Any feedback would be appreciated. Also a friend looked art it when I first got it and said it wasn't the serpentine belt and that I need a motor mount replaced because the engine is knocking and has a sorta high idle.

bmorebuick88
02-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Update. I got a friend. To sit in the car and turn the wheel while I Checked for anything. When the wheel was turned the serpentine belt slowed down a lot and the squeaking sound occured. Any idea why? Also I don't know if its me but under the serp belt there seems to be other "wheels" but no belt on them. Is this normal for an altima?

speediva
02-20-2011, 09:53 AM
My first call was that the serpentine belt needed to be replaced. How many miles are on the car? Do you have any maintenance records on whether its ever been replaced?

It is possible that there is something else going on with power steering, since the problem is amplified by turning the wheels. I'm afraid I've never gotten under the hood of an Altima (other than to change my brother's oil) so I don't really know what is/isn't normal.

Keep us posted with what you find!

bmorebuick88
02-20-2011, 11:55 AM
My first call was that the serpentine belt needed to be replaced. How many miles are on the car? Do you have any maintenance records on whether its ever been replaced?

It is possible that there is something else going on with power steering, since the problem is amplified by turning the wheels. I'm afraid I've never gotten under the hood of an Altima (other than to change my brother's oil) so I don't really know what is/isn't normal.

Keep us posted with what you find!

Thanks for the spedy reply. Unfortunately I don't have any records. It has 184k on the dash though.

Ill definitely keep you updated. I'm taking it to see someone Monday or Tuesday I just wanted to know if its safe to drive in the meantime. I haven't been on the highway yet for fear of something happening.

speediva
03-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Did you ever find the source of the noise? Let us know!

bmorebuick88
03-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Unfortunaetly I. Haven't been able to. Been extremely busy but I have been driving the car and its gotten worse. The sound last longer before it goes away and I can barely parrallel park. Pretty sure its the serpentine belt so ill just get that replaced first

bmorebuick88
04-14-2011, 02:50 PM
I got rid of the noise :)

I'm pretty sure this car was in an accident before I got it or hit a deer or something. All the damage is localized to the front passenger side. The motor mount was broken right there. There was no belt around my a/c compressor so I got that put on, and a new serpentine belt. The outer tie rod on that side was damaged and so was the rack and pinion boot. One mechanic didn't tell me all that and tried to overcharge for just the belt and mount but another mechanic let me know what was really going in and was fair with the price.

No more engine knocking, no more loud squealing, and no more high idling and jerky performance.

Add your comment to this topic!