Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1/16 Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale problems.

stevetriumph
02-19-2011, 05:55 AM
Hi,
I have recently purchased this kit. Unfortunately, I think the tyres are going to be unuseable, they are soft and the weight of the built kit will flatten them.
Does anyone know if any after-market 1/16 wheels and tyres were ever made? I have googled for them but no luck yet.
I know Fujimi released this about 10 years ago but I had no reply from them on a request for replacements.
Any suggestions for wheel/tyre combos that would be useable?
Many thanks,
Steve.

gpz900ra7
02-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Is there any way of "Filling" the inside of the tyres with something to make them cope with the extra weight of the car?

gpz900ra7.

stevetriumph
02-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Now that IS a good idea. It may be possible to cut some liners from polystyrene. I remember the Trumpy GT40 I built came with foam inserts in the tyres. Mmmm, might just work!

Many thanks,
Steve.

mattbacon
02-19-2011, 02:41 PM
When I did my Airfix 1/12 Bentley, I used electrical cable. Find yourself some circular cross-section 2 or 3 core flex from an old light or something and cut it carefully to length (3.14 x the "halfway out" diameter of the tyre), then shove it into the tyre before you pop it onto the wheel...

Works a treat! (on "old-school" more or less circular cross-section tyres, anyway...)

OK.. looked up the Stradale... I think you should still look for flex, but you may need flatter cable... I'd think that somewhere between 30A cooker wiring and 5A light flex, there'd be something!

bestest,
M

Add your comment to this topic!