Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

New fuel pump, but stuck with wiring issue, Need a fast response please :)

Creatine
02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I picked up my fuel pump for my truck today. It ending up being the orig from the truck and not the engine swap.

1988 s10 2.8L with a 4.3L CPI vortec now.

The wiring kit that came with the pump isnt exactly right, the 4 pin connector they gave me along with some wire leads are wrong. The connector I have for the pump hook up and black & grey wires are right. So I am going to use my original 4 pin connector.

I did a ohm check on my sending unit, and got 40 empty and 250 full, so I don't know why my gas gauge didnt work before. But I think its a wiring issue.

I have 2 purple wires from the float to the 4 pin female connector inside the gas tank. I check the ohm readings coming out the top of the sending unit and they were fine. I only have 2 wires from the 4 pin female connector out the top of the sending unit going to the truck.

I also noticed that on the connectors, each pin is labeled. Both connectors are labeled PED, and A & B are on the connector to the pump from the 4 pin connector, but on the 4 pin connector, they are wired to A & C. the 2 purple wires go to B & D.

Coming out of the sending unit the top 2 wires are wired to my harness going back, and they are A & B. One is the grey wire, the other is a purple wire. The bottom 2 are both black and go to ground.

Is only 1 purple wire suppose to be going back to the cluster? I don't see how one wire sends back the float reading. If that is correct, where can I problem solve my float reading if coming from the sending unit is fine? (or is the gas causing it to arc out and not work?)

Creatine
02-18-2011, 08:18 PM
I wired the pump exactly like the one I took out. I replaced the 2 pin connector that plugged into the pump along with the new wires it came with into the old 4 pin female connector inside the sending unit.

The pump did not turn on, either at prime or during crank. I know I wired exactly the way the other one was, but a friend of mine whos a mechanic told me over the phone to cross the wires. I did and the pump turns on now. Problem is no gas really comes out of it, as I tried cranking and priming the truck a few times and it still did not fire. So I pulled the feed line off and connected a waterbottle and thats when I noticed it was not sending gas.

Possible causes anyone? My mechanic is in toronto so I am on my own for now.

Thanks guys

Southern Comfort
03-11-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure if you have your problem fixed yet, but if not, reverse the power wire going to the fuel pump motor, I bought a new one and it didn't work right so I put it in a bucket of gas and found that the wires where in reverse, instead of gas coming out it blew bubbles, I reversed the power wires and it worked fine. The power wires do have polarity. Hope this helps
Thanks,
SC

j cAT
03-12-2011, 04:00 PM
I wired the pump exactly like the one I took out. I replaced the 2 pin connector that plugged into the pump along with the new wires it came with into the old 4 pin female connector inside the sending unit.

The pump did not turn on, either at prime or during crank. I know I wired exactly the way the other one was, but a friend of mine whos a mechanic told me over the phone to cross the wires. I did and the pump turns on now. Problem is no gas really comes out of it, as I tried cranking and priming the truck a few times and it still did not fire. So I pulled the feed line off and connected a waterbottle and thats when I noticed it was not sending gas.

Possible causes anyone? My mechanic is in toronto so I am on my own for now.

Thanks guys

the correct pump for your 1988 vehicle is a 2 pin connector..........

the other 2 wires go to ground which should be connected to the ground lug.

one wire is 12volts to motor from connector. the other goes to the pickup resistor.

Add your comment to this topic!