Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Urethane question...

Zonic2001
02-18-2011, 08:54 AM
This forum has been very helpfull to me, a new modeler and I thnk you all for that. But I have onther question to you all experts... Does anyone knows where to get "Engine Urethane"? That is the name of the non-yelowish urethane that someone in Japan that has a video in youtube was using. It seems to provide an extra clear and glossy layer than the normal Testor, Tamiya and other brands clear coats. If not, what type of urethane clear coating you all use? Thanks!

gpz900ra7
02-18-2011, 11:19 AM
The best clear coat for imparting the greatest gloss would be a "2K" clear coat.

Its a 2 part system, where you add 2 parts of the clear to 1 part of an activator, plus a dash of thinners just so that it flows nice from the airbrush, I asume you are using an airbrush?

The only drawback of such a clear coat is that you really do need to wear an oxygen fed mask, as this stuff is pretty nasty and will do your lungs a fair bit of harm if you don't.

gpz900ra7.

stevenoble
02-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Unless you are using the 2K clear with a full size spray gun on an industrial level everyday you don't need an air fed mask. Those full size guns really do emit some fumes, it's like a fog. I used to work in the car spraying industry and we did use an air fed mask there when using the 2K and it really was essential. Using it through an airbrush produces much less spray mist. If you have a proper, purpose made extractor and the relevant 3M spray mask, you can use it quite safely at home. I stress though that you do need the extractor and the proper mask. I would never spray it without those. It's not a case of spray it and you suffer irreparable damage to your lungs at the first usage. The symptoms build over time and end up much like asthma sufferers feel.
To answer the original question Zero 2K seems to be the urethane clear of choice for many, myself included...

Zonic2001
02-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Unless you are using the 2K clear with a full size spray gun on an industrial level everyday you don't need an air fed mask. Those full size guns really do emit some fumes, it's like a fog. I used to work in the car spraying industry and we did use an air fed mask there when using the 2K and it really was essential. Using it through an airbrush produces much less spray mist. If you have a proper, purpose made extractor and the relevant 3M spray mask, you can use it quite safely at home. I stress though that you do need the extractor and the proper mask. I would never spray it without those. It's not a case of spray it and you suffer irreparable damage to your lungs at the first usage. The symptoms build over time and end up much like asthma sufferers feel.
To answer the original question Zero 2K seems to be the urethane clear of choice for many, myself included...

Where can I get the Zero 2k clear? Anyone in USA?

stevenoble
02-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Where can I get the Zero 2k clear? Anyone in USA?

You can't buy it in the USA, but you can order it from Hiroboy and I believe he will ship it to the USA, unless anything has changed..?? The Zero 2K is just re-branded Lecher product. Any 2K clear works in the same manner and will produce as good a finish as the Zero stuff if applied correctly. Have you tried to buy it locally to you..?? Most paint suppliers here in the UK carry it in their stock. Not sure if it's as readily available there in the US...

Zonic2001
02-18-2011, 03:34 PM
You can't buy it in the USA, but you can order it from Hiroboy and I believe he will ship it to the USA, unless anything has changed..?? The Zero 2K is just re-branded Lecher product. Any 2K clear works in the same manner and will produce as good a finish as the Zero stuff if applied correctly. Have you tried to buy it locally to you..?? Most paint suppliers here in the UK carry it in their stock. Not sure if it's as readily available there in the US...

I bet that there are similar products in the USA, I'm just new to this and don't know. Let see what others in here from USA tell us.

stevenoble
02-18-2011, 03:49 PM
I bet that there are similar products in the USA, I'm just new to this and don't know. Let see what others in here from USA tell us.

I think a few of the US guys use Du-Pont brand 2K clear...

360spider
02-18-2011, 10:06 PM
There are plenty of urethane clears (or 2K clears as some call them) for sale in USA. Du Pont is one, but there are at least a dozen other brands that make it. Stop by any automotive paint supply store, they should have it.

914joe
02-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Zero will ship to the US. I use to use Dupont centari and now use Glasurit 923 2k clear. I need to buy at least 8oz at my local paint shop. You need really good ventalition, mask and need to cover all skin and eyes. The nastier it is the better it is:evillol:

IanHug
02-21-2011, 05:32 AM
I stress though that you do need the extractor and the proper mask. I would never spray it without those.

Steve, which is the correct filter to use in a mask?

Zonic2001
02-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Sellers in USA of 2k clear coatings are saying that their automotive products are too thick to get it thu an airbrush. Therefore, I told them I can dilute using thinner or any reducers they have compatible with their product but they don't feel comfortable that their product will look good thin down. Any comments from USA modelers? Need specific product names to get in the USA and if you please an estimation of how much thinner should I start with my trial and error spraying. If you don't want to post in here at least please PM me. Your help is greatly appreciated.

914joe
02-23-2011, 04:47 PM
I've used both Dupont and Glasurit clears thined @20-40% with no problems.

360spider
02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Sellers in USA of 2k clear coatings are saying that their automotive products are too thick to get it thu an airbrush. Therefore, I told them I can dilute using thinner or any reducers they have compatible with their product but they don't feel comfortable that their product will look good thin down. Any comments from USA modelers? Need specific product names to get in the USA and if you please an estimation of how much thinner should I start with my trial and error spraying. If you don't want to post in here at least please PM me. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Trust me, the stuff that you buy as 2K clear in hobby stores are EXACTLY the same stuff that you buy from automotive supply stores.

Didymus
02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
I think thinning is a durability issue that won't have any effect on modelers, unless you store your completed cars in the garden or in a sunny window. I think it's okay to thin it until it sprays right.

All the "biggies" make it: DuPont, Omni, PPG, Glasurit, etc. Last time I was at FinishMasters (a chain auto paint supply house), I noticed they had 2K clear in small quantities, like quarts. And I already have a respirator.

I remember having a hard time stripping it. But I remember seeing a solution on one of the forums. Steve?

It gives an extremely glossy finish that's not really correct for all cars. But I'll be building a Miura soon, and it would be just right for that swank machine. So I might give it another try.

stevenoble
02-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Steve, which is the correct filter to use in a mask?

This is the mask I use. No need to change any filters. You use it for a couple of months usage and then simply throw it away and replace it with another one. It's a 3M 4000 series...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/stevenoble/product_4758_2.jpg

Didymus
02-24-2011, 09:05 AM
I forgot to mention thinner. The "right stuff" is low-temp reducer. FinishMasters sold me BASF R-M UR40 specifically for the 2K clear, and it also works great with the PPG and Omni 1K basecoat I use for color coats. The reducer is available in quart cans.

I tried using ordinary lacquer thinner with the basecoat. It worked okay a few times, and then it caused a batch of paint to curdle, so now I always use the reducer.

By the way, the term "basecoat" is commonly used in 1:1 automotive painting. It sounds like it might refer to primer, but it definitely does not. It means color coat.

stevenoble
02-24-2011, 09:17 AM
an estimation of how much thinner should I start with my trial and error spraying. If you don't want to post in here at least please PM me. Your help is greatly appreciated.

You will have no problem spraying through a good airbrush with a 0.5mm tip. I use a Tamiya HG Wide trigger type and this sprays it very nicely. As for the thinning ratio, start with the recommended one from Hiroboy's site 50ml clear, 25ml of hardener and 15ml of thinner. This makes a lot of clear though, so keep the ratio the same but use smaller amounts, or you will waste a lot of product. Remember only mix what you will use because once it goes off it is useless. General rule is whatever the quantity of clear you put in, you need half the amount of hardener. My usual small mix is 10ml clear, 5 ml hardener and 3-4ml of thinner. Sounds like a lot of thinner but it sprays really well for me by using that amount.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/stevenoble/Lola%20T93/LolaT93012.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/stevenoble/Lola%20T93/LolaT93015.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/stevenoble/Lola%20T93/LolaT93019.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!