Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Toyota Pickup-Dies after 10 minutes

jcaguon
02-16-2011, 10:26 PM
My 1993 Toyota Pickup starts up pretty good and then dies after running for 10 to 15 minutes. I have had two repair shops look at it and both have determined there is nothing wrong with the pickup. I am wondering if there is something they missed when looking at the pickup. Any body out there might want to guess what it is?

The Toyota Dealership ran it through the Diagnostic Analyzer and then ran it for three days on the road to check if something they missed. So the 2nd day that I got the pickup I drove it up a hill and lo and behold the pickup loses power and turns off immediately. I am able to turn it on again but I am glad it did not turn off again as I reached home. I am surprised that they told me it was good to go.

I am baffled for this and don't know what to do.

fourwd1
02-20-2011, 07:24 PM
First, did you or anyone else stop and check the ECM to see if any error codes had been stored ??
Next, how many miles on it ?

danielsatur
02-20-2011, 07:29 PM
1) Replaced fuel filter
2) Fuel pressure test
3) Have a back pressure test done on the catalytic converter.

jcaguon
02-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Prior to sending the pickup for repair, the pickup was loaded with 1 ton of manufactured sand. After this my pickup began to have these problems.

Reply to 4whd1, the Toyota Dealership ran the pickup through the Diagnostic Analyzer and apparently they say nothing was wrong with it.
Certainly, there were no ECM for errors since they did not charge me for this.

I have driven the pickup for 102,000 miles. I had the pickup tuned up in Sept. 2007, the starter motor was fixed in Feb. 2007. The mechanic on Feb. 6, 2011 at another shop (K&J) in Harmon said my distributor and alternator was good, and relays were good for the Engine Control Unit or Car computer. He checked out the fuel pump and did minor repairs to it by patching a hole on top of it. From what I could see the pump is located next to the pickup tank. He charged me for the diagnostic.

Do you think I should replace all the sensors, such as EGR, Throttle, Water, Relay switch, fuel filter, fuel pump, computer chip on the Engine Control unit?

jcaguon
02-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Thank you for all your good suggestions. I did put my pickup at another repair shop and the mechanic found nothing wrong with the pickup. He did replace the fuel filter and he performed a diagnostic on the truck that showed no problems.
I now have discovered the solution to my problem. when it rains the pickup does not start too well. I have a leaking windshield on the right side where the Engine Control Unit is placed. The pickup doesn't work well when the computer unit is wet. The carpet on the floor gets wet and moisture travels upwards to the computer box. I guess the unit gets grounded and all electronic stuff go haywire.

When the day was dry, the computer box dried up and the pickup ran without any problems. I found a thread that indicated this may be the problem so I will fix the windshield and dry the internal passenger side.

Thanks for all your help.

fourwd1
02-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Glad you figured it out :)

Scrapper
02-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Thank you for all your good suggestions. I did put my pickup at another repair shop and the mechanic found nothing wrong with the pickup. He did replace the fuel filter and he performed a diagnostic on the truck that showed no problems.
I now have discovered the solution to my problem. when it rains the pickup does not start too well. I have a leaking windshield on the right side where the Engine Control Unit is placed. The pickup doesn't work well when the computer unit is wet. The carpet on the floor gets wet and moisture travels upwards to the computer box. I guess the unit gets grounded and all electronic stuff go haywire.

When the day was dry, the computer box dried up and the pickup ran without any problems. I found a thread that indicated this may be the problem so I will fix the windshield and dry the internal passenger side.

Thanks for all your help.
try some wire dry on coil and plug wires you have to put it on after you make sure it start's before yoy spray i have to have it on my s-10. you can get it auto zone or advanced probably be cheapest. and by the way i even tried new wires and still never started until i spray that on after i did get it started. couldn't hurt to try.

Add your comment to this topic!