Jeep hard to start....

mnrogers59
02-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport (TJ) which I am having problems with starting. I have the 4,0L 6 cyl. engine and when I try to start it the engine turns over fine but it turns over for quite awhile before it finally does start. After I get it started it runs just fine. It's just starting it that takes awhile. I have run fuel injector through it but it still acts the same. I am wondering if it could be the fuel pump or some other issue....

fredjacksonsan
02-21-2011, 07:11 PM
There are a few things on the 00 model I'd check:

1) How long since your spark plugs were replaced?

2) When you start, try turning it to "on" for a few seconds and let the fuel pump charge the system. I know it's not supposed to lose pressure, but more than one of the 4.0's I've had start right up when you let the fuel pump run for a second.

3) How many miles? I ask because the Crankshaft Position Sensor could be causing the hard start; this begins after maybe 90k or sometimes more.

4) What transmission?

mnrogers59
02-25-2011, 12:06 PM
I did replace the plugs not too long ago. I will try the thing with the key....does that mean the fuel pump could be bad???? I have about 110,000 miles on the vehicle and how do I determine if it IS the "Crankshaft Position Sensor?" I really appreciate your helping me....

fredjacksonsan
02-27-2011, 06:35 PM
You're welcome.

Turning the key to the "on" position for a couple of seconds doesn't mean the pump is bad, it just means that the engine needs more fuel available at start.

The CPS, if it's bad, will cause your engine to shut off when it's running, and can cause hard starts, engine stumbling/misfire, and if it's an automatic, odd shifts.

Add your comment to this topic!