Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stripping paint from resin

250 Testa Rossa
02-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi all... Is there a way to strip paint off a resin model? I need to know this in case anything goes wrong with any of my builds... even my 250 GTO. :confused: :screwy: :1zhelp:

Helico
02-15-2011, 09:38 PM
I have used Superclean with success. I would avoid isopropanol. I once soaked some resin parts, casted by myself, in 100% isopropanol in attempt to strip paint. They got softened overnight and became as flexible as rubber. Is this due to the particular type of resin (alumilite) I used? I don't really know but I wouldn't risk it again.

sjelic
02-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Plain nitro (I am not sure it is international name) thinner works great, you don't need to leave it in side, just wash the model in it with dipping and help of wide brush.

alvarol
02-16-2011, 05:17 AM
Acetone!...simply remove the paint rubbing down it with a soaked piece of cotton, or you can submerge the whole model in it.

Every spot of paint will come off, with no harm done on the resin model, you can use a hard/medium brush to reach the most difficult recesses where paint is hard to get off.

Keep in mind that any corrections on the model made of normal putty or epoxy putty will also come off with the paint.

Use on a well ventilated spot.

Good modelling.

Add your comment to this topic!