Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

water manifold

tacosoldier
02-15-2011, 07:33 PM
1999 Olds Intrigue, 3800 series 2, 215,000 estimated miles.

I'm in the midst of replacing the upper and lower intake gaskets. In the gasket kit for the lower intake, it contains several o-rings and a paper-like gasket for the water manifold. Baffled, I looked around the lower intake and found the water manifold. Now my problem is that I went into this project only armed with a Chiltons repair manual and they didn't discuss anything about the o-rings nor about the blessed water manifold. They just simply discuss the removal of parts, plop down the gasket, installation is reversal, done and sprinkle confetti everywhere. I don't know if I should use gasket sealant designed for water pumps, thermostats, nor do I not know how much torque to apply to the bolts.

daveyboyz
02-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I just did the upper plenum, and lower intake gaskets. Make sure you use the metal framed gaskets for the lower intake. Also use High heat silicone permatex for the gaskets corners. That is where the 2 end rubber gaskets
connect to the side gaskets, both below the gasket and on top of it. You should of had a installation drawing with the gaskets if you got the new style dealer gaskets. Forget the water jacket gasket, its just part of the kit. I never disturbed mine, it was fine. Your installation drawing if you go to the dealer gives you the torque sequence and lbs. I replaced the upper plenum with the new style and egr port tube. And to boot....I did mine outside in -13 degrees winter here in Canada. Was not that bad a job, just take your time and do it right once. The o-rings if Im not mistaken are for your injectors?? or did they come in the upper kit??

tacosoldier
02-19-2011, 08:04 PM
I just did the upper plenum, and lower intake gaskets. Make sure you use the metal framed gaskets for the lower intake. Also use High heat silicone permatex for the gaskets corners. That is where the 2 end rubber gaskets
connect to the side gaskets, both below the gasket and on top of it. You should of had a installation drawing with the gaskets if you got the new style dealer gaskets. Forget the water jacket gasket, its just part of the kit. I never disturbed mine, it was fine. Your installation drawing if you go to the dealer gives you the torque sequence and lbs. I replaced the upper plenum with the new style and egr port tube. And to boot....I did mine outside in -13 degrees winter here in Canada. Was not that bad a job, just take your time and do it right once. The o-rings if Im not mistaken are for your injectors?? or did they come in the upper kit??

The kit didn't come with injector o-rings, one o-ring was for the PCV, the others are for the heater inlet and outlet elbows. The upper kit only came with a throttle body gasket. As far as the water jacket, I probably should have left it alone as I went ahead and replaced it using water pump gasket sealant, tightened the bolts down on hope. I couldn't get anyone to give me answers. The local GM dealership closed down which is a real bummer considering I became well acquainted with the parts and mechanics there. They helped me diagnose issues with the Intrigue and offered me tips and short-cuts with the then work.

Add your comment to this topic!