Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

need help with 2001 malibu battery drain!!!

cute_dorkie
02-14-2011, 11:40 PM
hello everyone i need some help with a battery problem...i think somethings draining the battery and i dont know what!!

how would i go about checking to see whats draining my battery?

AJT1961
02-15-2011, 05:34 AM
I once had a car that did that and it turned out to be the glovebox light wasn't shutting off when the glovebox door was closed. Also, aftermarket accessories (like alarms and sound systems) are often the culprit if they are not wired correctly or defective. Barring any easy fix like that, the only way I know to determine this is by using an amp meter. Making sure everything is off, disconnect the negative cable and connect the meter to the negative battery terminal and the disconnected battery cable to measure the current draw. There will always be a very small current draw when the car is off (often around .03 amps or less) but you need to look up the spec for your car. You should measure this soon after the car has been running, and then keeping the amp meter connected, wait up to 45 minutes for the computers to go into full sleep mode, at which point it should be at the spec of .03 amps or less. If it is high, you need to get out your owners manual diagram and start pulling fuses one-by-one to see what circuit is drawing the current. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Add your comment to this topic!