1999 passport shocks

DCNKY
02-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Bought replacement shocks (Guardians) and installed the first one on the front left side. After I got it on I noticed it was touching the upper control arm and the stabilizer bar. Original shock is an Isuzu and has a lower tube diameter of approx 1.75in. New shock measures approx 2.0in at the lower tube. I compared this with a new Monroe shock and it measures the same 2.0 in. Both Guardian and Monroe say their replacement shock will fit my application. Now as I see it...I can either go back to the dealer for replacements and pay through the nose or take Monroe's or Guardian's advice and use one of their units. If I do the latter, I'm afraid they will rub. Anyone had a similar problem?????:confused:

fourwd1
02-19-2011, 11:17 PM
How bad do they rub? Is it minor enough that you can live with it or enough to damage something?

DCNKY
02-20-2011, 03:14 PM
The Gabriel Guardian shocks rubbed both the upper guide arm and the front stabilizer bar. The Gabriel shock measured approx 2.00" on the lower tube and around 2.25" upper. The original shock which is an Isuzu measured 1.770" lower tube.
Gabriel has three different shocks for this vehicle. I looked at all three and the lower grade looked too small. The middle and upper were too big. I called tech support and the guy just gave me specs from their test vehicle. I informed him about the problem but he just held firm about chart saying the shocks would fit.
I then called Monroe and the tech support guy told me about two different versions for my vehicle. The drawings also detailed 2.0" shocks. He then told me he had found another drawing showing a 1.750" measurement for the Monro-matic plus shock.
That is when I decided to buy the Monroes. They ride just fine. Really nice !!!!

Add your comment to this topic!