Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Eclipse Rs 2.0 Non-turbo

donidavis
02-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Im having a problem with my car back firiring. It idles fine a 2000 rpm but at 1000 it just act funny like it wants to cut off! Now my engine light came on and its throwint a code... the coad is 1294. can some one help me! i got a new battery and it keeps going dead... then i found out that my alt was bad so i took the engine out changed the alt all belts even the timing... and its still doing the same thing. When i try to accerlerate it stutters and jumps really bad then eventually cut off... oh and i chaneg eht fuel pump and the fuel filter! Can anyone help me?

SilvrEclipse
02-15-2011, 07:52 PM
You pulled out the engine to replace the alternator and the timing belt? Im not really sure on the work you did? Did you change the timing belt? Did the car run fine before you did this work? Maybe the timing is off a tooth

donidavis
02-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Na, i didnt touch the timing we just checked and made sure that it wasnt off at all! i just put a serp and alt belt on! I took the engine out of a automatic 96 eclipse and just put my tranny on it. thats all i did and idk whats causing this backfire. do you think the EGR valve would cause this? I was also looking at my car and i dont have a EGR silonoid...

david-b
02-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Na, i didnt touch the timing we just checked and made sure that it wasnt off at all! i just put a serp and alt belt on! I took the engine out of a automatic 96 eclipse and just put my tranny on it. thats all i did and idk whats causing this backfire. do you think the EGR valve would cause this? I was also looking at my car and i dont have a EGR silonoid...

EGR won't make a difference like that. I've had defective, broken, and EGR deletes on numerous cars and never had problems with backfiring. It recycles the exhaust gas back into the intake. Wouldn't cause a problem like that if it wasn't working or whatever.

Target Idle Speed Not Reached

Mechanical condition vacuum leak
throttle cable not free
idle speed screw misadjusted

I would pull off the whole TB and check it out with carb cleaner. Pull the IAC and TPS, clean the IAC and it's passages, including the emission ports on it and then check botht he IAC and TPS for proper resistance. Then check all vacuum lines.

donidavis
02-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Ok... now me and some friends were standing outside and we just let it run for about 30 mins and then the car caught on fire and the ground did too! so if my converer is clogged up or messed up will than make my car backfire?

Add your comment to this topic!