Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Service Brake Booster

89crown
02-14-2011, 04:52 PM
While driving My DIC came on and said to service brake booster and since that light came on my brake pedal seem to be soft and sound like air coming from the pedal when it is pressed to the floor. So if there is someone out there know what the problem is please help me to figure out what's happen to my brakes ,:smile:so I can fix this problem. My vehicle is a 2003 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 engine could this problem be fix without going to a dealership for service Thanks :smile:

brcidd
02-14-2011, 05:34 PM
If you hear hissing when pressing the brake, your brake booster has a leak and needs replaced- simple as that.

It is not too bad a job- but the brake light switch "keeper" is a real PITA to get off- you will have to bend it off or break it, the go to dealer toget a new one-- be sure to get all the pieces of the old one out of the groove before installing the new one.

Also, it is a lot of laying on your back under the brake pedal-- but no need to take any brake lines off- just pull master cylinder away from booster underhood..

89crown
02-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Will my vehicle be safe to drive to a shop to get it fix with the pedal feeling soft and sound like air coming from under the dash when the pedal is pressed.

brcidd
02-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Yes, just that you don't have power brakes- so go slow and easy....

89crown
02-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Well Thank You brcidd I am going to try and take it to the shop on Monday to get it fix. Thanks again for your post it was very helpful.

Add your comment to this topic!