'95 S-10 Pickup Rear Springs

vtmecheng
02-14-2011, 12:00 PM
I have a '95 S-10 Pickup, 4x4, 4.3Z, manual, regular cab, 6 ft bed. Trying to figure out what the original leaf spring setup was on the truck as it currently has 4 curved leafs. Most stock S-10 pickups I see have a 3 + 1 setup with 3 curved leafs and one flat overload leaf. On the other hand, the couple times I have seen a regular cab that looks like a '95 they seem to have only 3 leafs without the overload leaf. Does anyone here have a '95 regular cab with 4x4 and a 6' bed that knows what the stock leaf configuration is? The added leaf is so thick and stiff I have about reached my limit after a couple years of driving. Thanks.

j cAT
02-15-2011, 07:54 PM
I have a '95 S-10 Pickup, 4x4, 4.3Z, manual, regular cab, 6 ft bed. Trying to figure out what the original leaf spring setup was on the truck as it currently has 4 curved leafs. Most stock S-10 pickups I see have a 3 + 1 setup with 3 curved leafs and one flat overload leaf. On the other hand, the couple times I have seen a regular cab that looks like a '95 they seem to have only 3 leafs without the overload leaf. Does anyone here have a '95 regular cab with 4x4 and a 6' bed that knows what the stock leaf configuration is? The added leaf is so thick and stiff I have about reached my limit after a couple years of driving. Thanks.

I got a 94 s10 pickup 4.3L vin z 5sp.

this has 3 leaf springs plus 1 thicker flat spring on the bottom ..vehicle height is slightly higher in the rear than front. don't know if this is stock as built oem but it looks original. just replaced shackles both sides rear .

so what is your problem ? if rear looks too high it may mean the front is too low.

vtmecheng
02-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. Issue isn't height but ride quality. I used to tow and haul a lot of weight 5-8 years back and added an add-a-leaf to the truck. When a main leaf broke in '05 I had a spring shop put in an add-a-leaf on the new spring pack, which ended up being considerably stiffer from what I had added. This was great when hauling a lot but sucks now that I don't as often. Problem is I can't remember if the original leaf pack had an overload spring and it was just removed or if it never had one. The current setup creates an extremely rough ride unless I have over 500 lbs in the bed, in addition to my camper top. Thing doesn't even get level until about that weight.

I will probably just take out the add-a-leaf and see if I can get an OEM overload spring. First though is passing emissions next month.

j cAT
02-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. Issue isn't height but ride quality. I used to tow and haul a lot of weight 5-8 years back and added an add-a-leaf to the truck. When a main leaf broke in '05 I had a spring shop put in an add-a-leaf on the new spring pack, which ended up being considerably stiffer from what I had added. This was great when hauling a lot but sucks now that I don't as often. Problem is I can't remember if the original leaf pack had an overload spring and it was just removed or if it never had one. The current setup creates an extremely rough ride unless I have over 500 lbs in the bed, in addition to my camper top. Thing doesn't even get level until about that weight.

I will probably just take out the add-a-leaf and see if I can get an OEM overload spring. First though is passing emissions next month.

had problems with the shocks and tranny mount. replaced the shocks with a heavy duty monroe shocks, the tranny mount was replaced, and found the transmission support bar was with a broken stud. then with the shackles this rides very good now.

I have heard of your problem with too strong of a added leaf with these s10 trucks.

Add your comment to this topic!