Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My 2006 Cobalt shut's down while driving

phbr32401
02-13-2011, 04:36 PM
I bought my 06 Cobalt brand new in 06. I have not any issues with my car up until 3 months ago. I was driving on the freeway about 70mph and all of a sudden my car just shuts completely down, no warning signs, no spatter, nothing at all. I pulled it over to the side of the road and it starts right back up. I take my car to Firestone and do a diagnostics test on it, mind you i dropped it off by 8am on that Saturday i was the first appointment of the day, by 2pm when i got off work they still had my car and i was told by the manager on the phone who was looking at my car said he ran the test, but found nothing wrong. So i went into Firestone to get my car and he suggested to me take the car back to the dealership where i got it, and have them do the test. I also was told by Firestone that the dealership has flight boxes they can hook up to the vehicle and it records like 10 seconds before the car shuts down and 10 seconds after it dies. Firestone was pretty cool in not charging me the full 100.00 for the diagnostics test fee, they only charged me 40.00. But this is so frustrating to me that my car is doing this. So i began to go online and research this, and apparently other cobalt's have been doing the same exact thing. Gm needs to do a recall before someone really gets hurt and even killed. My husband has been driving my car and some days it is fine, and sometimes it shuts down 3-4 times a day. If any one has had this problem and has had it resolved please email me at jpoohbear32401@aol.com, that would be awesome. Thank you

Janet Wagner

MT-2500
03-04-2011, 05:09 PM
I bought my 06 Cobalt brand new in 06. I have not any issues with my car up until 3 months ago. I was driving on the freeway about 70mph and all of a sudden my car just shuts completely down, no warning signs, no spatter, nothing at all. I pulled it over to the side of the road and it starts right back up. I take my car to Firestone and do a diagnostics test on it, mind you i dropped it off by 8am on that Saturday i was the first appointment of the day, by 2pm when i got off work they still had my car and i was told by the manager on the phone who was looking at my car said he ran the test, but found nothing wrong. So i went into Firestone to get my car and he suggested to me take the car back to the dealership where i got it, and have them do the test. I also was told by Firestone that the dealership has flight boxes they can hook up to the vehicle and it records like 10 seconds before the car shuts down and 10 seconds after it dies. Firestone was pretty cool in not charging me the full 100.00 for the diagnostics test fee, they only charged me 40.00. But this is so frustrating to me that my car is doing this. So i began to go online and research this, and apparently other cobalt's have been doing the same exact thing. Gm needs to do a recall before someone really gets hurt and even killed. My husband has been driving my car and some days it is fine, and sometimes it shuts down 3-4 times a day. If any one has had this problem and has had it resolved please email me at jpoohbear32401@aol.com, that would be awesome. Thank you

Janet Wagner

Did you do as firestone advised?
Have you found the problem yet?

Add your comment to this topic!