2003 LeSabre heater fan will not work.

jerry1967
02-13-2011, 01:50 PM
I have a 2003 Lesabre with a 3800 engine. When I turn my heater on the fan will not work unless I kick the dash board under the glove box.
Does anybody know what would cause this and how I can fix the problem?

If you can please send a picture with your answer so I know where to look.

ND4SP
02-13-2011, 06:18 PM
I have a 2003 Lesabre with a 3800 engine. When I turn my heater on the fan will not work unless I kick the dash board under the glove box.
Does anybody know what would cause this and how I can fix the problem?

If you can please send a picture with your answer so I know where to look.

Sounds like the fan has a bad bearing, however another cause could be the fan speed control resistor. Do you have the digital hvac controls?? If so, could also be a bad solder joint on the control board, that has been known to happen...

brcidd
02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Typically, if you have to kick it- the blower motor is worn out--That's how I test them-I just did a 2003 Lesabre last week- if your blower motor is silver, then you need to buy a $30 adapter bracket GM part number 88957446 that makes it so a replacement motor will mount- seems the silver motor mounts differently than the replacements they (anyone Napa, Autozone, etc) offer. I bought a $140 Autozone blower motor replacement, before looking at OEM unit-- went to put it in and discovered the mounting issue- took motor back, they did not have a clue. But, I eventually googled it- and found that Rockauto shows the adapter bracket part number with the blower motor description. I bought the adapter from my local GM stealership. Oh, and BTW the adapter braket is a real PITA to install, let alone getting the old one out- I broke the OEM bracket, but got lucky installing the replacement adapter bracket- only took about 30 minutes of wrestling with the brackets....

jerry1967
02-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Typically, if you have to kick it- the blower motor is worn out--That's how I test them-I just did a 2003 Lesabre last week- if your blower motor is silver, then you need to buy a $30 adapter bracket GM part number 88957446 that makes it so a replacement motor will mount- seems the silver motor mounts differently than the replacements they (anyone Napa, Autozone, etc) offer. I bought a $140 Autozone blower motor replacement, before looking at OEM unit-- went to put it in and discovered the mounting issue- took motor back, they did not have a clue. But, I eventually googled it- and found that Rockauto shows the adapter bracket part number with the blower motor description. I bought the adapter from my local GM stealership. Oh, and BTW the adapter braket is a real PITA to install, let alone getting the old one out- I broke the OEM bracket, but got lucky installing the replacement adapter bracket- only took about 30 minutes of wrestling with the brackets....

Is the blower under the dash behind the glove box?

brcidd
02-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Exactly, remove the lower hush panel to access it- no need to open glove box--you will be working upsidedown though

jerry1967
02-14-2011, 03:14 PM

If I use a motor from a dealer or if I can find one from a junk yard do I still need the braket?
If it is not silver than I don't need the braket?
My heater swiches are manual does that make a difference?

claimed4all
02-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Had this same problem. If you do not want to spend several hundred dollars on it do this.

Pull the fan assembly out of the car.
Go to your local auto parts and buy a bottle of Electrical Motor Cleaner.
Spray the motor and watch the grease fall off.
Pull the brushes and clean up that area too.
Reinstall motor.

Worked like a charm for me and several others with fan problems. Cleaned it 2 years ago and haven't touched it since.

brcidd
02-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Junkyard motor would need to be same color as yours.

Dealer motor will be only the replacement offered- if you have a silver motor- you will need the new bracket. I did think about drilling my own holes to mount it- but that too would be difficult.

If you have a black motor, then you will be fine (as far as I know).

The mounts on the silver motor are small with no washers and slightly offset from the rubber bushing area.

The mounts on all replacement motors are in the big rubber bushing area and require 3 large washers.

Manual switches vs ATC makes no difference as far as I know.

jerry1967
02-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Had this same problem. If you do not want to spend several hundred dollars on it do this.

Pull the fan assembly out of the car.
Go to your local auto parts and buy a bottle of Electrical Motor Cleaner.
Spray the motor and watch the grease fall off.
Pull the brushes and clean up that area too.
Reinstall motor.

Worked like a charm for me and several others with fan problems. Cleaned it 2 years ago and haven't touched it since.

OK how do I pull the brushes?

jerry1967
02-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Junkyard motor would need to be same color as yours.

Dealer motor will be only the replacement offered- if you have a silver motor- you will need the new bracket. I did think about drilling my own holes to mount it- but that too would be difficult.

If you have a black motor, then you will be fine (as far as I know).

The mounts on the silver motor are small with no washers and slightly offset from the rubber bushing area.

The mounts on all replacement motors are in the big rubber bushing area and require 3 large washers.

Manual switches vs ATC makes no difference as far as I know.

thank you very much, if I do this I might be asking more questions.

claimed4all
02-17-2011, 09:19 AM
OK how do I pull the brushes?

After you pull the motor out of the case you will see two small springs holding them in. They are located near where the power comes into to motor. Pull off, clean, reinsert.

Add your comment to this topic!