2002 Ram 1500 Noise During Ignition

gjdls95
02-12-2011, 03:23 PM
A few weeks ago I parked the truck in the garage and the next day I went to start the truck and it wouldn't start. I could hear the fuel pump and the engine was cranking but it wouldn't start. I tried about 5 or 6 times to start in the morning but it wouldn't. A few times while the engine was cranking I would hear a clunk sound which was real brief.

The next day I went back out and tried again and the truck started right up. I started the truck up a week later for work (I only drive the truck a few times a month) and it started fine. I started the truck up today to back it out of the garage to make some room and when I went to start it to bring it in it started to crank and then that clunk sound appeared again. I stopped cranking when I heard the sound and waited a few seconds and started to crank again and the truck started fine.

The truck appears to run fine, no knocking or anything like that just this occasional clunk sound when trying to start the truck.

Any ideas?

Chris Stewart
02-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Sounds like maybe a little crossfire...spark going to the wrong cylinder.
You might try wiping the inside of the distributor cap and rotor button in case there's crud building up.

gjdls95
02-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Sounds like maybe a little crossfire...spark going to the wrong cylinder.
You might try wiping the inside of the distributor cap and rotor button in case there's crud building up.

I can try that. This all started happening after I drove through some drifts during a blizzard a few weeks ago. I have driven it about 80 miles since the first time I couldn't start and then it did it today.

mikelj80
07-28-2011, 02:00 PM
I had same problem I think..engine just turns over but won't start, it was the fuel injectors..found out after replacing the fuel pump.

Add your comment to this topic!