Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Things to do if your car has been sitting awhile?

carguyvr4
02-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I have a 93 Vr4, this is the first witer i have had the car & let it sit for the time. It has been idle since August or so, I drove it a few times in between but nothing real drastic. I plan on doing plugs, wires, & valve covers, along with the vac. hoses. I am going to change the oil & the trans fluid as well (manual) along with the t-case. The timing belt & pump & cam & crank seals were all already done before it say. Brakes are getting replaced as well.

My main concern is the engine, since it's been sitting for so long what do I need to do as far as proper lubrication throughout the engine. Can I just change the oil & start the car and everything be ok. Or are there precautions I should take before starting it again for the first time?

Thanks

Stealthee
02-12-2011, 09:37 PM
If you are concerned with it pull the ECI fuse and crank the engine over for a few seconds to prime the oil pump and get oil through the engine. Put the ECI fuse back in and fire it up.

Honestly. There was one time I let my car sit for almost a year, never starting it once. I walked out. Hooked the battery up and fired the car up and drove it around. You should be fine.

Polygon
02-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Yeah, most people seem to think that sitting over the winter will destroy a car. I just remove the battery and put it on a battery tender. Put the battery back in come spring and she fires right up.

toddrs93
02-15-2011, 06:19 PM
yea you should be fine, from time to time I'll get cars that have been sitting 2-3 years, in which case I check timing and hydraulic tensioners because I have had some that have lost there tension from the hydraulic tensioners sitting and just going bad. A few months shouldn't hurt though.

Stealthee why are you not registered for ECG?

Stealthee
02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Seth, I'd love to go as I haven't been there since 07, but I just don't see it happening. There is so much stuff going on at work that I am involved in, including a possible bigtime promotion and I don't want to commit to something just yet. I'm going to end up being so busy that I'm not even going to have enough time to wipe my ass.

Add your comment to this topic!