Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Torque Strut Mounts

olopezm
02-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Hello guys,

Just a quick question:

The bushing on one of my torque strut mounts has gone bad, the metallic piece has separated from the rubber and it's causing a small engine vibration when I accelerate from idle. Money is tight and I would like to go the cheapest way if possible so I went to the junkyard today and I could only find both mounts for the 3100 engine,

Is there any chance to swap the 3800 with 3100 engine mounts?. I compared both and the only difference (as you should already know) is the 4 bolts at the radiator side against 3 bolts for the 3100, size is the same so I know it fits, but will I have any other problem?

Thanks in advance,

Oscar.

tblake
02-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Oscar, you should be able to remove the rubber from inside the 3100 mount and put it in the 3800 mount. (if I am thinking of the right mount you are talking about).

Refir to this article about engine mount stiffening. Might give you an idea of how to get the rubber bushings out.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/articles1.php?id=45

olopezm
02-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks Tim, it seems we are talking about the same mounts, the ones that hold the dogbones onto the body right at top of the radiator.

Unfortunately the link you provided no longer works, I get a 404 Not found error, I guess I'll search google for "engine mount stiffering" just to see if I can find anything similar; do you know about any other source for the same article?

Regards,

Oscar.

olopezm
02-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I forgot to mention that I did try to swap the bushings but they are real hard to get out.

tblake
02-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Thats all the link was... instructions on how to get the bushings out using a screwdriver, wd40, and an easy out. I will see if I can find another source, but sounds like your on the right track.

olopezm
02-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks, I'll keep trying.

If I can find anything about how to remove the bushings I'll post it here for future reference.

Regards,

Oscar.

Add your comment to this topic!