Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What Edelbrock Intake should i go with?

inforcer958
02-11-2011, 03:03 PM
I have a 1985 El Camino with a 350 swapped into it from a 1974 c-10. I am currently running a 600cfm Edelbrock carb, a Performer Air-Gap intake pt #2601 and full length headers. No emissions equipment other than cats.

I recently did some work to the engine and the front screw mount there the alt bracket bolts on has broken away. So i need to get a new Intake. I want to stay with an Edelbrock intake but don't know what to get. It is used for mainly cruising and sometimes a daily driver. But i really enjoy the power out of it. I was watching an episode of horsepower tv and they showed that putting a different intake on the car can hurt you even tho it might be more expensive and "improved" So....Can someone send me in the right direction?

I appreciate all the thoughts. But i don't need anyone telling me to get a different brand.. The carb, intake, valve covers, and air intake are all Edelbrock now, and would like to keep everything matching!

Thanks

mcmalloy
02-11-2011, 03:25 PM
check there web site for current street intakes , there is alot to choose from

777stickman
02-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I would say if you're happy with what you have then stick with it. I had to replace the performer manifold on the old VanDura a couple of years ago for the exact same reason and I replaced it with the same Performer manifold without hesitation.

inforcer958
02-13-2011, 04:47 PM
I do enjoy the intake that i have. But its the only intake i have had since i have had the car. It was put on by someone that i am sure didnt know a whole lot about engine. It was originally put on a 305 and then i put it on the 350. So i guess my question is. Should i be looking for an intake for RPM at idle - 5500? or RPM at 1500-6500? For this stock engine?

So performer Air-Gap, or the RPM Air-Gap?

MrPbody
02-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Performer is the manifold of "choice" for engines operating under 5,500 RPM. If you want more revs, RPM is called for. The "Air Gap" is a good feature for more performance-oriented applications. It prevents the exhaust heat from making the intake "hot". If you use a "hot air" choke, the Air Gap is not a good choice. If you have an electric choke (or NO choke...), Air Gap is the good one.

IMO, there are no better intakes on the market than Edelbrock. They wear engines out testing.

Jim

Add your comment to this topic!