Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Best *brushable* chrome paint?

racer93
02-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Alclad and KGS responses are not needed.

I'm looking to use this for fine detail work. I use currently the Testor Chrome enamel, but it just takes FOREVER to dry, even in a dehydrator.

I'm curious to find out what you guys use for painting chrome fine detail. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Daniel

mattbacon
02-11-2011, 02:32 PM
http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Pentel-Metallic-Paint-Marker-Superfine-MFP5N.html

Dunno where you'd find one of these in the US, but they must be available in art or graphic design suppliers.

They are great for use as is, but you can also get the paint to come out as a thin fluid and apply it with a fine brush for even finer control. If you can get it on wet, so that it flows to cover where you want, you can get a very shiny chrome surface...

bestest,
M.

Macio4ever
02-11-2011, 03:15 PM
As far as I know there is no chance to get reflecting chrome using brush.
If you ment fine silver I can recommend Tamiya X-11 enamel.

It is important to use this type of paint as X-11 acrylic version is a crap.

ZoomZoomMX-5
02-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Testors also makes that silver chrome trim as a lacquer, dries a bit faster, still is relatively soft and doesn't like to be handled too much, but it seems to be the best at a very bright appearance as the pigment is both very dense and extremely finely ground.

racer93
02-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks, guys. Macio, I'm not looking for "reflective" chrome, just stuff representative of, say, nuts and bolts on a valve cover. Capiche?

I know Pentel is carried here in the US...I'll definitely look for it.

I didn't know Testor's make a lacquer version of their chrome. Is it in a bottle or rattle can?

ZoomZoomMX-5
02-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks, guys. Macio, I'm not looking for "reflective" chrome, just stuff representative of, say, nuts and bolts on a valve cover. Capiche?

I know Pentel is carried here in the US...I'll definitely look for it.

I didn't know Testor's make a lacquer version of their chrome. Is it in a bottle or rattle can?

28003 Silver, bottle.

ZoomZoomMX-5
02-11-2011, 04:21 PM
http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Pentel-Metallic-Paint-Marker-Superfine-MFP5N.html

Dunno where you'd find one of these in the US, but they must be available in art or graphic design suppliers.

They are great for use as is, but you can also get the paint to come out as a thin fluid and apply it with a fine brush for even finer control. If you can get it on wet, so that it flows to cover where you want, you can get a very shiny chrome surface...

bestest,
M.

Pilot also makes a similar pen, but not quite as fine a point. The paint itself is extremely reflective, but slow to dry. "Pilot Extra Fine Point" Silver Marker (gold too). Not terribly easy to find, either.

gpz900ra7
02-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Just to back up the post by ZoomZoomMX-5, the bolts on the calipers of this Ducati were done using the pen from PILOT.

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/9431/dscf2482.jpg

bri g
02-11-2011, 07:25 PM
try giving the sharpie silver pens a try as well. I find it brighter than most of the silver pens out there and dries a lot quicker

Ferrari TR
02-12-2011, 12:01 AM
The Gunze (GSI) chrome has always worked well for me. I know, another hard to find product.

Add your comment to this topic!