Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission - Swap

Tutype
02-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Can I replace (swap) my Transmission & / or Transfer Case from my 1996 Blazer 4X4 LT into my 2000 Blazer 4X4 LT since the 8th digit in both VIN's is a W. If this CAN NOT be done please explain why.

Please respond if you are 100% for certant. (I only say this because this will be a time consuming job and I don't want to waste time removing two transmissions for nothing).

* Moral of the story, the 96 Blazer is running ok, which I had the tranny rebuilt a few years ago, and the 2000 Blazer has a bad motor.

Thanks in advance,

-TuType

old_master
02-13-2011, 03:32 PM
The "W" only refers to the engine, it has nothing to do with the transmission or transfer case.

If both vehicles have the 4L60E automatic transmission, they will interchange.
If both vehicles have the NV 233 2 speed electric selectable transfer case, they will interchange.

The question is why would you want to put the transmission and or transfer case into the 2000 if it has a bad engine? If the 1996 has a good engine and transmission, why not fix the transfer case?

Tutype
02-13-2011, 10:45 PM
I bought the 2000 Blazer with a bad motor. The reason I'm considering installing the trans from the 96 to the 2000 is because I had the 96 trans rebuilt ard 3 years ago, and I figure it will have a longer life span. Also the plan was to switch the motor from the 96 to the 2000 'cause the 2000 motor is blown And the '96 motor has only 135K miles on it.

However, I was also considering doing a complete overhaul of the 2000 motor. The 2000 has 160K miles on it, and I don't know how long the tranny will last, so do I overhaul it too or use the '96 trans?

Tutype
02-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Also...Will there be any computer compatabilities issues with swapping the motor or trans?

old_master
02-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Got it! Transmission should be plug and play. Engine might have some differences with wire harnesses but it shouldnt be a problem. If you have both vehicles, you'll have all the parts you need. Check the tags on the transfer cases, make sure they are the same... Both should be NV 233, (there might be a letter "C" after it), 2 speed electric shift, The same transfer case is used by all US auto makers with minor differences, Dodge uses a "D" suffix, Jeep uses a "J" suffix, and Ford an "F".

Tutype
02-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks Bro'. I'll let you know in a few weeks when I start the process...Thanks again.

-TuType

viggy58
02-15-2011, 03:30 AM
def. keep us posted. i'm sure there are others who have wondered about the swap process.

blazes9395
02-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Just to add a little more on this.

The engine is a bolt up, for the most part, maybe a few sensors are different, but it should be good to go.

As for the transmission, there are differences. While the tranny itself can bolt bolt up, and plug and play (the connectors are all the same) there are differences internally.

The '96 tranny, fits as a bolt-up to a 96-97 only. The main difference is the convertor clutch, which is composition carbon, which has different apply rates, lock-up schedules, which are not the same as the 2000. There are also valve body differences because of the different apply rates for the clutch etc.

While the 2000 usually has to have a 2000 and up tranny, generally, a '98 and up tranny will work. The main difference again is the convertor clutch, which is a woven carbon for these years. They use different apply rates, and lock -up schedules. The valve body is different with thee years too.

That being said though the 96-97 4l60e tranny probably were the best years for these trannies for these trucks out of the factory. Things such as the accumulators were changed to plastic for 98ish and up, sunshells seemed to be worse for the 98 and up. All cost savings for GM at the time.

Hope this helps to clarify things a little more.

Tutype
02-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Again, much thanks to everyone, and I will keep you posted.

-TuType

Add your comment to this topic!