Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 3.8 Ignition module test.

eric_454
02-10-2011, 12:09 PM
O.K., here goes. 91 Ninety-Eight Regency quit firing the center (5-2) coil in the pack. Pulled off the coil and hooked up the test light between the 3-in-1 blue hot side and, one at a time, the other three wires starting with the blue 3-6 wire on the module. Here's what happened:
The blue/black was out until I cranked the engine, then it pulsed.
The green/black was on kinda dim but very visible, then pulsed brighter on crank.
The yellow/black behaved exactly like the blue/black wire.
From this I conclude the module is bad, being internally shorted to voltage on the 5-2 circuit.
The coil ohmed right at 11k across the 3-6 and 1-4 towers, but 17k across the 5-2 towers in the middle. I'm pronouncing the coil pack bad as well, thinking it may have taken out the module. Have I missed anything? I welcome and thank you for any input, as it's been a VERY long time since I looked at one of these cars. :)

Jrs3800
02-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Interesting...

If you decide to replace any parts use the later Delco Type 2 Ignition system.. As opposed to the Magnavox system you have currently..

eric_454
02-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Interesting...

If you decide to replace any parts use the later Delco Type 2 Ignition system.. As opposed to the Magnavox system you have currently..

Really? What kind of car would I order the parts for? I'd love to change it out for a better system. Does it all just bolt on?

Jrs3800
02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
We recommend the junk yard because of the parts you would need..

You would be looking for a 93-95 Tuned port Injected 3800 RPO L27 Vin Code L

92-95 Buick LeSabre
92-94 Pontiac Bonneville
91-94 Buick Park Ave
as well as the

92-95
Pontiac Transport 3800
Lumina APV 3800
Oldsmobile Silhouette 3800

You will remove the 3 bolts on the bottom of the unit and take the module complete with the plate... This is what it would look like with the Type 2 system and wires for a 93 Bonneville
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/BCGearhead/Delco%20Ignition%20Swap/3800ignitionswapBC20.jpg

Simply leave the coil bolts alone, and just remove the 3 bolts underneath the unit, and the bolt for the connector and you'll have everything you need..

The good thing about the system is that if fires a tad hotter, and when one coil fails you can replace that coil and not the entire pack... As well it helps with cold starts too.. Have had a series of people have issues with the magnavox system in damp and or cold weather... The Delco Type 2 system seems to solve those issues.. All of the Old 3800 Vin C and L engines can upgrade to this system... You can use any Delco type 2 Ignition Control Module from 93-08( end of 3800 production iirc ) and any of the coils... Great thing is that the ICM and coils never really changed.. If you had an 08 ICM you could use that...lol

The reason I am having you look for the L27 parts is that it will have everything attached to the backing plate you need to be able to swap the system on to your car... Plug and play

eric_454
02-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Well, I called every salvage yard within 100 miles and none had that ignition left on anything, so I went out on the car lot and, to the Boss' utter disbelief :eek:, took the ignition off of his 04 Impala SS Indy 500 edition :nono: and stuck it on the Olds. Thanks a million; it runs perfect! Now as for the Impala...:banghead:

P.S. Anyone need a good auto tech?

Add your comment to this topic!